Delivery truck options

/ Delivery truck options #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
Not sure this is the right place for it, but it seemed the most likely, and I know there are lots of people on this forum that have wisdom in this arena so here we go.

I have a company that has a wide plank flooring product line. We deliver in a two-state area, basically within a same-day turnaround distance.

We currently have a 2007 Isuzu FTR with an 18' box.

Pros:
  • Will handle any amount of flooring we can fit in it - 12,000# capacity, or roughly 4-5,000 SF of material depending on species.
  • Commanding visibility.
  • Incredible maneuverability - the cab-over design allows the wheels to turn crazy angles.
  • Has a lift-gate (but it really needs to be re-built)

Cons:
  • Getting rusty. The incident that precipitated this post was the third brake line failure in the last 3 years or so. Additionally, the lift-gate needs to be basically replaced.
  • It's Big. The floor height is roughly 4', so getting in/out can be a bit of a chore. Additionally, it's just under 12' tall, which, while not an issue on public roads (mostly, we have covered bridges on many of our public roads...) it is a detriment on many of the residential deliveries we do.
  • Power. Sure, it has a 7.8L turbo-diesel, but it's been detuned to 200 HP. With a decent load, you can't maintain even the 50 MPH speed limit on our VT/NH typical hilly roads.
  • Traction - it's one of the worst vehicles I've ever driven in snow. Even with a load on. Don't really know/understand why. We DID think it had a locking differential when we bought it (used) because it had a button on the dash for it. But it's not physically there.

Desires/requirements:
  • Enclosed box.
  • Ability to carry 16' material.
  • Decent traction. May not NEED 4WD, but it would be nice.
  • Neighborhood of 6000# cargo capacity.
  • A diesel is not only unnecessary, but mostly detrimental with our usage.
  • Budget - we typically drive less than 10,000 miles per year - avg 2 times a week at 100 miles RT or less. I don't have a strict budget, but would like to spend less than $40k for a vehicle that I'd like to last 10 years without any major repairs.

Any suggestions as what I should be considering or avoiding?

/ Delivery truck options #2  
Maybe a used rental truck would work for a replacement

/ Delivery truck options #3  
How about a pickup and enclosed trailer. That might be awkward for some deliveries but would probably get through some of the bridges that you can’t now. Are any of these new mini type delivery vans long enough?

/ Delivery truck options #4  
So I am assuming the power gate is of no value to you except for acting as a step at the rear of truck for unloading?

You need enclosed transport I assume given the nature of your product.

If that was me I would get another COE .... Hino , Isuzu etc. equipped with a 16 foot curtain side body and rear roll up door.

This way you would have the best of options. Being able to SIDE load long material with a forklift. Unload similarly or easily by hand off either side or the rear as you were accustomed.

Or if you wanted to get fancy get a combination van/ curtain side body. Normal fixed wall on driver side and curb/ curtain side

Send me a check and I can have it built in Canadian dollars for you. LOL.

Here is a pic of one half and half. Adjustments.jpg

Something like that only smaller.

/ Delivery truck options #5  
I don’t think anything short of a 4 or 550 Ford or Dodge besides the cab over trucks is up to the task and I don’t think any of the cab overs are 4wd. Some of the new ton truck may claim 6-7k payload but passengers,4x4, the box, the lift gate all take off the ratings.

/ Delivery truck options #6  
COEs are not known for being good in the snow.

I found another pic This is a glass windshield delivery truck and doesn’t have the curtain side but you get the general idea.

Adjustments.jpg

/ Delivery truck options
How about a pickup and enclosed trailer. That might be awkward for some deliveries but would probably get through some of the bridges that you can’t now. Are any of these new mini type delivery vans long enough?

I have considered a trailer. We have a pickup with a 11,000# tow rating, but a trailer is not ideal for a lot of our deliveries. It's amazing how much extra space you need to turn around.

I looked at the Ram Promasters or the Merc/Freightliners but nothing near long enough. We really need at least 16'6" for 16' material - it's usually cut a couple/few inches over.

/ Delivery truck options
So I am assuming the power gate is of no value to you except for acting as a step at the rear of truck for unloading?
From a "business" standpoint, yes. However, the truck ends up getting used for various personal projects as well... :)

You need enclosed transport I assume given the nature of your product.

If that was me I would get another COE .... Hino , Isuzu etc. equipped with a 16 foot curtain side body and rear roll up door.

This way you would have the best of options. Being able to SIDE load long material with a forklift. Unload similarly or easily by hand off either side or the rear as you were accustomed.
Have considered the curtainside for just those reasons. However, after nearly 40 years of dealing with loading 10-16' material into dry vans, I/we have become quite adept at doing so. The ability to load from the side is an almost non-existent "benefit". FWIW, we either use two forklifts, or we have a deadman at standard trailer height that we use when only one operator is available.

Or if you wanted to get fancy get a combination van/ curtain side body. Normal fixed wall on driver side and curb/ curtain side

Send me a check and I can have it built in Canadian dollars for you. LOL.

How big a check? Our standard one is 8-1/2" x 3-1/2" (or approximately 216mm x 89mm for the forward thinkers of the world).

/ Delivery truck options #9  
In your price range you should be able to find something decent. 4WD or AWD on a vehicle that big may be a challenge though.