Deere PTO engagement ???

/ Deere PTO engagement ??? #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
I'm fairly new to tractors and such....asking for help!

I have a Deere 4320, almost new, eHydro.
Also a very old MF 5' heavy duty cutter. No pto shaft clutch of any kind, straight direct drive.

The pto engagement on the tractor is fairly violent.

So, in the hopes of reducing wear and tear, I've been careful to engage and disengage the PTO only when there is no load on the cutter and only at lowest RPM (about 1000).

Is this correct? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

/ Deere PTO engagement ??? #2  
Yup, found the same on my Dads 4410 and did the same as you.

Sure you don't have a shear bolt setup ?

/ Deere PTO engagement ???
Thanks, Willl. Yes, input shaft on the cutter is driven by a bolt through it and the yoke collar. It is 1.5" in diameter shaft, and 3/8" bolt. The bolt that's in it now is a grade 5, so definitely NOT a shear pin.

Even if it were I'd rather not shear it every time I engage the PTO, which seems likely if I did it at speed - that PTO really jumps to life when you hit the button, and no way to ease it up to speed except by engaging at low engine speed.

But I don't know that this is the 'Deere approved' method or not. Just made the most sense to me, so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

/ Deere PTO engagement ??? #4  
You can get an owners manual online. Do a search and you should find it in PDF form. But my manual says the same thing engage PTO as slow speed and then bring it up to rated RPM.

/ Deere PTO engagement ??? #6  
It also sounds like you may have an Independent PTO which in many cases allows little or no feathering to engage the PTO.

The live PTO in my experience is a much better setup which not only allows you to feather the PTO to engage, but also allows you panic stop the PTO by depressing the clutch.

Not real clear to me why Idependent PTO's seem to be all the rage these days on many of the newer tractors.

Again, I'm not familiar with your tractor and could be wrong.

Stu

/ Deere PTO engagement ??? #7  
It also sounds like you may have an Independent PTO which in many cases allows little or no feathering to engage the PTO.

The live PTO in my experience is a much better setup which not only allows you to feather the PTO to engage, but also allows you panic stop the PTO by depressing the clutch.

Not real clear to me why Idependent PTO's seem to be all the rage these days on many of the newer tractors.

Again, I'm not familiar with your tractor and could be wrong.

Stu

JD uses a electric/hydraulic switch to active the PTO, there is no clutch. So when you pull the switch it's all or nothing-hence the "harsh engagement". It does take some getting used to for sure! When I use my chipper it definitely sounds bad!

/ Deere PTO engagement ???
I do have the manual and I did read it, but I checked again and missed this.

Deere 4320 manual says to engage w/ no load at 1500, disengage w/ no load at minimum RPM. I'm assuming the 1500 to engage is only to avoid stalling. I've never come close while stalling at 1000, so I'll continue that way in the hope it is even less violent on this nice tractor.

Also, after seeing Willl's reply, I'll be changing the shear bolt to the softest steel bolt, a least 'til I can find a clutch to fit 1.5" smooth round input shaft of the cutter (it's cross drilled for the shear bolt).

/ Deere PTO engagement ??? #9  
I have a Deere 4320, almost new, eHydro.
Also a very old MF 5' heavy duty cutter. No pto shaft clutch of any kind, straight direct drive.

So, in the hopes of reducing wear and tear, I've been careful to engage and disengage the PTO only when there is no load on the cutter and only at lowest RPM (about 1000).

The new 4320 uses an internal multi-plate wet clutch, like you have in a
motorcycle. It seems to be hydraulicly actuated.....I looked at the
parts diagrams.

I just opened up the tranny on my 4300, and it has a multi-plate wet
clutch too (and brake!), but it is mechanically actuated by a shift lever.
Mine is broken, no doubt due to violent engagement at higher RPMs and
under load. But mine is a rental tractor. I would do what you can to
limit the sudden engagement.

I will post pix in a new thread.