Deere 4210 - a different league ?

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
Just looking around and doing a little comparing between Kubota and Deere compacts. Seems each mfg. has good comparisons between equal models until the Deere 4210 - it appears to outweigh Kubota's comparable HP models by 700-800 lbs. yet the overall picture of pto hp, overall sizes, etc. are close. Is the 4210 that much heavier built or what ?

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ? #2  
I am not sure, but Kubota is said to list their weights without wheels and tires (crate shipping weight) vs. field ready for the Deere.

But the Deere IS in a league of its own...

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ? #3  
<font color="blue"> Kubota is said to list their weights without wheels and tires </font>

No longer true (if it ever was) - see this post.
If you read the rest of that thread, you'll see a case being made for Kubotas being more highly engineered and machined, resulting in a stronger, lighter frame. I have no opinion on that claim, just repeating it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ? #4  
Deere is not heavier built than Kubota, it is built differently leading to a machine that simply weighs more.

Kubotas are known for being fairly light machines, especially the non-ag tractors. Ladder frame construction is part of the reason why they are lighter. The claim is they are just as strong as a traditional design where the engine/transmission make up the structure.

Don't know the pros and the cons of it, but at least for many users of CUTs, a heavier tractor is not always a desireable feature when you have to drive it across a lawn. For ag purposes, weight can become a serious advantage.

As for Deere being in a different league, I think that is open to debate. Each of the Big 3 has its differences in design, but I don't see an overwhelming difference between any one of them. The best front end loader machine is probably the New Holland right now. The best CUT lawn tractor might be Kubota. For ag tractors, I think that Deere is probably the best choice. But each brand has its quirks, and each model may be outclassed in one or two ways by another brand's machine; to say one is the definitive best brand is simply personal bias. There are some other brands that are coming on very strong with high quality offerings, Kioti really stands out as the NEXT big brand to be.

I think you would be best served to look at the specific tasks you want to accomplish, then figure out how much time will be devoted to each task as a percentage of the total time, then pick the best compramise machine to do those tasks in the most objective and color blind manner possible.

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ?
Well, a little more research and maybe a answer - the 4210 begins a larger frame size machine. From what I gathered it is on the medium size frame of the 4000 series machines. I'll assume the 4510 and it's planetary final drive begins the large frame on the 4000 series until I find out otherwise. Please someone, feel free to correct this newbie if this is incorrect.

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ? #6  
You are correct that the 4510 is the smaller model in the large chassis series....as a 4210 owner I chose mine because I needed a heavier tractor than the small chassis series but not the greater hp and hydraulic capabilities of the 4310/4410.
For my intended purposes the 4210 was the ideal machine and I have been very happy with it. 90% of my operating hours are mowing time and the smaller engine is remarkably fuel efficient while the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase compared to the 4310/4410 cause less damage to my lawn and permit tighter turning around my trees and buildings.

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ? #7  
Don't worry I was halfway kidding when I asserted that the Deere was in a league of its own.

But there ARE differances. mostly the Dealer is what'll make or break the deal. A good dealer can make even a mediocre machine worth owning, a bad dealer can sour even a great machine. At least, with the big three, you are assured some level of dealer quality. Most of the smaller brands will sell through just about whoever will buy from them. There are good dealers there as well, but a lotta fly by nites, too.

After owning my 4310 for some time, I relly like it. It does an amazing amount of work, the electronics are something to experience. Even the plastics are amazing, they shrug off attacks that would leave a tin machine all crumpled. But, I am sure even tin hoods have their place.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The 4210 was updated recently, with a bigger hydraulic pump, which makes it even closer to the 4310 in capacity...

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ? #8  
I am debating the 4110 or the 4210. How did you decide that the 4210 was the right size. I will do mostly mowing as well, How much are you mowing, is this your only mower?

/ Deere 4210 - a different league ? #9  
I mow a 5 acre yard and cut ATV trails in the back 5.5 acres which is overgrown pasture. While I considered the 4110 I wanted the medium frame JD as I have several 3 point implements that I used on my old Ford Jubilee and I needed a tractor strong enough to hitch to my 5500 lb. travel trailer and move it around. Our yard has numerous trees, outbuildings, stone decorations, etc. and I spend a lot of time turning so the smaller JD would have been better just for mowing purposes. Prior to buying the 4210 I used an '89 JD 318 for mowing, it did the job but got worked too hard.