Deer destroying roses

/ Deer destroying roses #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
I cannot use an electric fence due to small children coming in contact and the random nature (walkways, etc) cutting through planting beds.
Do the high pitch noise deterrents work?
We are using the odor sprays, but they need frequent application and don稚 always seem to work.
We are losing all our rosebuds to deer. Hunting, shooting not viable options, either.

/ Deer destroying roses #2  
WOW I thought you had a fence and gate around your McMansion............:laughing:

/ Deer destroying roses
That’s not helpful :confused3::laughing:
Nope, no gates, no horses. :laughing:

/ Deer destroying roses #4  
I was once told they don't like the scent of us and to hang small satchels of hair around things to deter them. Can't swear to the effectiveness.

/ Deer destroying roses #6  
Been out here in the sticks 39 years now. Have learned that the deer will "taste" anything new, that you plant, once. We went thru about half a dozen rose bushes that, after tasting, they liked. Those became a lost cause.

We now have two rose bushes. The deer have never bothered them. A bright yellow - Homestead Rose and an old variety of Red Rose. The Homestead Rose grows wild in these parts and is a good way to locate old abandoned homesteads. The Red Rose came from an old homestead also.

Finally - after a whole lot of trial & error - - trees and shrubs that the deer don't like. They don't bother the Hawthorn trees I've planted either.

I have never found a way that is 100% on preventing deer damage.

/ Deer destroying roses #7  
Our experience matches oosik's. Deer ate a lot of "deer proof" plants. We've settled on the stuff they really do avoid, like sages. They don't like aromatic plants.

The only roses that survived were one inside the fenced garden, and a "house eater" rose next to the house. That one got tall enough to get out of deer range (and it started to eat the house- cutting it back was a huge pain and I forbade my wife from planting another one). I see that in the native trees and shrubs- the ones that deer eat will stay small as long as the deer keep trimming them but if they get a branch beyond deer reach, they grow fast.

/ Deer destroying roses
I may have to purchase 3 or 4 small solar fence chargers and try them. Just worried about little kids from neighborhood getting shocked.

/ Deer destroying roses #9  
They will learn fast not to touch the wire......

/ Deer destroying roses #10  
Hang orange streamers on the wire. Use some of that plastic orange marking tape. Educate the kids that orange means danger.

Leads to another thought. Hang wiggling flickering things around the plants, bits of foil or pie plates.