Deer Control Options

/ Deer Control Options #31  
Heck...Littleton little over a stone throw away from me..well more than a couple of stone throws aways. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Your lab and our lab /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif I have a strange feeling it would be /w3tcompact/icons/love.gif at first sight for them. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

It was great to finally see it stop snowing and blue sky this morning for a change /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif but the weather station said start tomorrow for the next couple of days,a wintery mix is on the way /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif oh well it is New England and we go thru this each year.

Stay warm up there.

/ Deer Control Options #32  
An electric fence. I used treated landscape timbers placed 16ft on center (significantly less $$ vs treated 4x4). 600 ft x 5ft of a product called TrellisPlus. One fence charger. Grounding rods. One 17ga line of electric fence placed about 3ft up. Cost ~$260. Excluding my labor,aluminum foil & peanut butter.

/ Deer Control Options
Neil,

Sounds like you have quite a property, 40 ac. on a good grade, must have been fun putting up the fence.

Well for an update here, I installed 600+ Ft heavy gauge "Deer Fence II" with an 8 gauge top line the bottom is staked to the ground. The area that I am dealing with is a small portion 120' give or take with few trees, as well this is used for access to the rear land, so fencing weve got, but prefer alternate measures so to keep access without removal of fencing etc.

Deer already got in last week and destroyed some of the wife's favorite plants, now she wants a gun.. They tried to get out and made a mess of the fence every few feet pushed off the trees etc, so today had to fix fence and put in a ground cable as well since our soil doesn't hold bottom stakes very well - too rocky.

Today I got the radio, alarm, and light hooked up and tested this evening. Basically a dual flood light with sensor wired with a 12V alarm/transformer and a plug in one socket for the radio and a light in the other one.

I have tried fox/coyote urine as well.. Thanks for the reply and if this wasn't a regular access area I would do the elec/deer fence as well, tho it may come to that in the end.

Carl