Seeders decreasing spread Radius of spreader

/ decreasing spread Radius of spreader #1  

dosgris

I have some narrow lanes in a clear cut that I want to fertilize and plant. I am trying to figure out a way to use my Cosmo 800 to srpead these lanes approx 15- 20 feet wide without all of my fertilizer and seed ending up in the weeds.

/ decreasing spread Radius of spreader #2  
Good luck with that, I use a drop spreader when I need to control the pattern closely. I use a spin spreader in open areas have a larger 3pt and a small cheap tow behind for the riding mower, both of these will throw the heavier granular fertilizer farther than the seeds.

For your uses a small spin spreader throws about a 15=20' swath and might be the best way to go. I use a small cheap Deere poly tow behind about $250 for this. I don't think the larger Cosmo unit is going to work in the narrow confines you mention, I know that my larger 3ph spin spreader throws about a 50' pattern which would be a waste of seed and fertilizers.

As I mentioned a drop spreader would be best for control but I don't think in your case it would be worth the money for limited use. I use mine on short manicured lawns or new clear ground seeding. If the grass is tall it is hard to see the tracks of each pass, so easy to skip or miss spots.

/ decreasing spread Radius of spreader #3  
What about reducing the PTO rpms (assuming it is a 3pt)?

/ decreasing spread Radius of spreader
One thing to note is I already have the spreader and use it for my fields. I am considering fabricating some side shields to knock down the fertilizer/seeds at about the width of tractor.

/ decreasing spread Radius of spreader #5  
The problem with the side shields is keeping the pattern uniform across the discharge arc. If that is your only option I would try greasemonkeyok's suggestion of running at a slower pto speed.

About the existing spreader, I understand that you wan't to use what you have I just found I need a variety of spreaders to handle the various jobs.

/ decreasing spread Radius of spreader #6  
Just slow the speed and adjust the lever to see what works... It's what I do. It's really not difficult. I personally don't worry if I overshoot the the plot a few feet on each side.

Or you could get a hand crank spreader if you want.

/ decreasing spread Radius of spreader
Thanks to all. I scrapped the shield idea and just ran at a lower rpm. worked well and distributed suprisingly even.