Deck Still Safe?

/ Deck Still Safe? #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
This morning I decided to maintenance the 42" rear discharge deck on my old faithful Work Horse 16 hp garden tractor. Low and behold, I found a hole /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif (see attached pictures). The area around the hole, as well as the bracket are still secure. Is the deck itself still safe to use?

16-136618-deck.jpg

Attachments

• 16-136618-deck.jpg
    16-136618-deck.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 113
   / Deck Still Safe? #2  
Mike,

Looks like you'd better get the welder out and patch it up. I would say that the deck is not safe to use, as a stone or other foreign object could fly up out (with great velocity) and potentially injur the operator. BTW, you're supposed to clean the deck out in the fall, so you have all winter to make repairs or replace parts. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Having that grass build-up remain under the deck for long periods leads to problem you currently have. No problem - just mow with the TC25 and forget about your old 16 hp lawn mower. It's more fun, anyway.

Jeff

/ Deck Still Safe? #3  
Looks like it's time to visit the welding shop to me Mike /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Either that or replace the deck, which probably isn't cheap. I'd be afraid the deck around the spindles may fail and send something flying /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Deck Still Safe? #4  
I'd have it welded up. Like the others have already said, something could fly out and hurt someone. Or that bracket could cave in and hit the blade and really hurt someone. I bet it wouldn't cost you $50.00 to have it repaired if you do all of the prep work before and paint afterwards.

/ Deck Still Safe? #5  
I wouldn't want to take a chance of another piece coming off while mowing.

If the metal still sound around the bad spots than have it welded or a nice patch brazed.

/ Deck Still Safe? #6  
mikePA,
our mechanic has fixed many old decks without any problems thereafter. if you are not too far away from me ... southern pa and bucks county, let's get together ... if you will.

/ Deck Still Safe?
Thanks all for the advice (and the offer bubenberg). The place I bought it is just a quarter mile down the road. They've done some other welding for me, so I will load the deck on my truck with the TC25D and take it over there next week.