Deck stairs

/ Deck stairs #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I am designing a small landing with stairs to come off of a french door out the back of the house. The landing will be wider than the stairs. How do I attach the top of the stairs to the landing?

Eric

/ Deck stairs #2  
Well eric, you will find that there are a number of ways to make that happen. Minus some important information we'll make a few assumptions. The distance from the door to grade is a couple feet +/- . The landing will extend wide beyond the doors by at least the width of one door so that when the door opens flat against the house there is still landing underneath. The landing out from the face of the door should be at least 36". This helps with the potential for an accident so someone coming out the door who is unfamiliar with that area won't fall down the stairs. The landing is made of a 2x6 frame or better if you think you need it beefier with 2x6 joists spaced at 16-24 inches apart. The stringers for the stairs can be spaced at 24 inches apart with 36 inch treads. There are attachments available at your local lumber yard or home center designed to attach stringers to the face of the landing frame. You can also attach a 2x2 ledger board ILO the brackets to the bottom face edge of the landing frame and you can notch the stringers so they sit on the ledger board. The stringers can be toe-nailed to the ledger board and back nailed to the landing frame. You can also bracket the joists of the landing or just face nail.

Sorry for all the added info. I guess I could have taken your question at face value and just mentioned the brackets or ledger board option... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif