Decisions- what do I need?

/ Decisions- what do I need? #1  

pepsicop

Ok, I am new to this site and have read through many posts, but have not come upon one to answer
my question.

I have approx. 10 acres to mow, some flat, some pretty hilly. I currently use 2 cub cadet riding mowers,one 16 hp and one 18 hp (with 48" and 44" decks) and a JD 1020 tractor with a bush hog. I am about to wear out my poor cub cadets. I first considered a finishing mower for my tractor, but there are alot of areas that I just can't get the tractor around and the ag tires would tear up the yard.

So, I have decided I need something between the riding mowers and the tractor. Something just for
mowing and maybe some light work, since I have a tractor for the heavy work. Something that sets low enough to the ground for those hills (I live in Kentucky).

I was thinking the new BX Kubota with a 60" mid mount deck would be something to consider, but I am not sure if I want to spend that much money. I was orginaly thinking of a used model. It obviously does not matter as to the brand as you can see from what I already have, I just need something that will fit my needs best.

Can anyone give any advise? I have also been attempting to pull up Kubota's site but can not, I was looking for any special financing available from them, does anyone know if there are any deals?

Thank you for your time and information.
Stephanie

/ Decisions- what do I need? #2  
Stephanie, I think the BX would certainly do what you need to do, but is it possible that a dedicated turf mowing machine would suit you better? That way, you wouldn't be paying for things you don't need. Unfortunately, I can't help you in your search for this type of equipment because I don't know anything about it - I'm just wondering if you shouldn't be considering it and opening the way for some members of the forum who are knowledgeable in this area to jump in.

Whatever you get, I would suggest it have a diesel engine. You are a lot less likely to "wear out" a machine powered by a diesel, because the engine lasts so much longer, and generally the manufacture builds the rest of the machine to compensate. That's not always the case on some of the cheapest brands, but it is on most.

Mark

/ Decisions- what do I need? #3  
Kubota is offering 7.49% on purchases made before the end of May. The length of the loan is a maximum of 60 months depending on how much you finance. They will also offer no interest, no payment for 90 days with a higher interest rate after the 90 day period. Kubota's web site said both finance offers are good through the end of May. Interest rates went up 1/2% today, so one only knows what Kubota may offer starting in June!

Good luck with your shopping.

/ Decisions- what do I need? #4  
It sounds to me that an articulated turf tractor with the mowing deck out front would be well-suited for your application especially since you have to deal with significant slope mowing. These units are made by Steiner (www.steinerturf.com) and Venture Products (www.venturepro.com). Both companies are located in Ohio (within 2 miles of one another), and they both make very high quality equipment. Either the Steiner 430 or the Ventrac 4000 can be equipped with a Kubota Gasoline or Diesel Engine. I would suggest you consider a 23-25 hp engine and a 72 inch mower deck. A wide variety of interchangable front mounted attachments are available for both. The most important element is that both can be equipped with dual front and rear wheels which makes the tractor very stable on slopes. (Either is capable of operation up to 30 degrees.) There is more discussion available on the other board (CTB) under the category of Articulated Tractors. If you have never seen nor operated an articulated turf tractor, it is worth the effort to locate a dealer and have a demonstration on hilly ground. They will astound you.

/ Decisions- what do I need? #5  
Thanks for jumping in there, Jack. I knew you had the scoop on that kind of equipment. That's more what I had in mind, too. With that much grass to mow, something dedicated to the purpose ought to get consideration, at least. As with Stephanie's mention of the Kentucky hills, I thought the safety of such a setup ought to get some attention, too.

Mark