Debating whether to keep mower deck

/ Debating whether to keep mower deck #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
I have a nice and clean low-hour (but admittedly old) 1986 Deere 855, which came with a less nice 72" belly mower. I'm a homeowner with 3.5 acres to mow, and I have a 757 ZTrak with a 60" deck, which does the job nicely. I figured I'd keep the 72" deck for the 855 as a spare, in case the ZTrak was ever down for repair, but I'm thinking that's a poor reason to hold onto something that takes up as much garage space as this 72" mower deck. I can always hire someone to mow my lawn for a week or two, if my ZTrak is down for repair. Sitting this spare deck outside for many years, until such time when I might need it, will only ensure it's not working when I do need it.

The only reason I can come up with for keeping it, is how it might affect me re-selling this tractor? Is it even a factor? Is anyone going to buy this tractor from me, with the intent of using it as a mower? Tractor is currently set up with front end loader, ballast box, wheel weights, and I have a 3-point snowblower I also use with it. It's not really a mowing machine, in my eyes, but I see most 855's are sold with mowers...

Help me out, guys!

Thanks.

/ Debating whether to keep mower deck #2  
I would hang on to it, for the exact reason you just mention, reselling. I would grease every grease nipple, give it a good coating of Fluid Film all over, wrap it in a tarp and put it outside out of the way. jmo

Henri