Oil & Fuel Dealer sold me wrong hydraulic fluid for ct440

/ Dealer sold me wrong hydraulic fluid for ct440 #1  

tim l

Tractor
bobcat ct440
Hello everyone. I bought ct440 2 1/2 years ago, brand new. About 18 months ago I did my 50 hour service as directed by owners manual. I bought everything from local Bobcat dealer......filters and new hydraulic fluid.

Problem is I have since discovered they sold me the wrong hydraulic fluid, ("Bobcat, All season, hydraulic/hydrostatic"). They should have sold me ("Bobcat Transmission/differential"). This was discovered when I sent my wife in to pick up a gallon to replace some fluid I lost due to a busted o-ring in a rear controller.

I called the dealer and asked the counter man if it mattered. He consulted a mechanic. I was then told to bring the tractor in so they could flush system, replace filters and fill with correct fluids. This at no cost to me.

This is all good, however my QUESTION is..... I have been using the tractor 18 months with the wrong fluid. The tractor has about 108 hours on it. I have had two issues with the hydraulic system. One being the o-ring, and two, a stuck valve in the rear lift arms. The warranty has expired. I was able to figure out and fix both issues myself, but what else may be wrong, or what other problems may this cause in the future?

Also, does anyone know what is the difference is between these two fluids? Bobcat has taken extreme measures to keep it a secrete. Apparently in an effort to force you to buy the fluids from them as there is nothing on the containers which designate the the type of fluid within?

It is really aggrivating when you buy a brand new tractor, trust the dealer, and have this happen.

Thanks in advance
Tim

/ Dealer sold me wrong hydraulic fluid for ct440 #2  
The difference is extra lubrication in the hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid is not conducive for use with wet disc brakes. Unless you have been doing a lot of braking during this time, no damage to worry about.

/ Dealer sold me wrong hydraulic fluid for ct440
Okay, well thats good news. I don't usually use the brakes other than when dismounting the tractor and shutting it off. If there are no other issues like sticking relief valves, damaged rubber etc. I am good.

/ Dealer sold me wrong hydraulic fluid for ct440 #5  
I don't see this as the dealers fault.

I think the dealer sees it as at least partially his fault.

I agree the owner should check and double check the label against the call out in the manual, but I also think that any lawyer could make a very strong case that the dealer should have sold him the correct fluid in the first place.

I don't see this as the dealers fault.

You might have an arguement if they put anything on the containers except generic names like hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid and transmission/differential fluid. No numbers or equivelants to use as a cross reference.

Furthermore, when you write down what the owners manual says, take it to the dealership, and the dealer tells you what he is selling you is the correct fluid I think he has some responcibility.

When the container he sells you reads "Bobcat hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid" and "Specifically formulated to maximize performance in all Bobcat equipment hydraulic/hydrostatic systems", and I empahsize the word "all", I do not think it unreasonable or irresponcible to assume it will work in a "Bobcat hydraulic/hydrostatic tractor.

Yes, I do feel a bit disapointed in the dealership, and yes I do feel it is their fault.

Sincerely
Tim L

/ Dealer sold me wrong hydraulic fluid for ct440 #7  
Sounds like you have a good dealer, as they are correcting the issue. Good Customer service can be hard to find.

My dealer is 30 miles away, I have a dealership THREE miles from the house. They P/$$ me off, every time I walk in, so I drive 60 miles to get the service I expect.

/ Dealer sold me wrong hydraulic fluid for ct440 #8  
Thanks for the heads up...I need to check what they sold me!

Update....I took the tractor in and they changed fluid and filters at no cost to me. The only thing I thought odd was they refused to give me any paperwork showing what they had done. I can only guess this was to leave no paper trail, and thus no evidence, or acknowledgement of having made a mistake?

While I was there, I was talking to the salesperson who sold me the wrong fluid. He told me at the time he did so they did not know there was any other type of fluid available, and only discovered there was when customers started coming in and asking for it. :confused:

/ Dealer sold me wrong hydraulic fluid for ct440 #10  
Update....I took the tractor in and they changed fluid and filters at no cost to me. The only thing I thought odd was they refused to give me any paperwork showing what they had done. I can only guess this was to leave no paper trail, and thus no evidence, or acknowledgement of having made a mistake?

While I was there, I was talking to the salesperson who sold me the wrong fluid. He told me at the time he did so they did not know there was any other type of fluid available, and only discovered there was when customers started coming in and asking for it. :confused:

Looks like Bobcat needs to undertake some dealer training.....

Can you tell me what area you are from?
I dont think I would trust your dealer, since he is unable to admit in writing a mistake