Dealer backing out of deal

/ Dealer backing out of deal #11  
That's where I'm at.

Believe it's an honest mistake, I see where they mixed up the model numbers. Not a $5k difference or even close but I'm already stretching. Looks like I have a binding contract but seems to me the biggest plus to buying new is a good relationship with the dealer, can't imagine it's worth it to go to the mat.

Just can't imagine making a mistake like that and then turning it back on the customer.
If you feel it is legit, and don't think it is a hit they can stand, offer to split it. I sold for a long time and always ate the error if it was mine. I don't think things work like that any more.

Best,

ed

/ Dealer backing out of deal #12  
Your "Hypothetically" makes this a tragic mistake by a dealer in theory only...

/ Dealer backing out of deal #13  
Tell him just what you said. You made the deal based on relationship with a quality dealer and are already stretched thin. No harm in telling him where you are. Be friendly and polite. Tell them that you are aware that it was an honest mistake. See what they say. If they make an offer, I'd work with them if you can and if the deal is still good compared to competition. If not, politely say thank you and get your deposit back.

I hate to make thing contentious when it was based on a mistake. But don't be afraid to tell them where you are.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #14  
If I was absolutely positive they made an honest mistake I go ahead and get the tractor. I’ve just been down the road with car dealers to many times it’s turned me into a skeptic. “Honest“ mistakes from a car dealer I’ve seen is the wrong year on my trade in, wrong mileage, they somehow find a rebate but when they deduct the rebate from the last offer it doesn’t math out and wrong numbers put in the final contract.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #15  
Hypothetically.

Let's say I called a dealer and got a price quote on a tractor on a Friday. Came by the dealership the next morning, took the tractor for a spin, negotiated the addition of a $1000 feature, agreed on a price, shook hands, and made a deposit. Got a handwritten receipt as it was late in the morning with the rest of the paperwork to follow on Monday. Monday morning I get a call saying there'd been a mistake, dealer misread the factory discount offer, and the price has gone up signficantly. Otherwise come get my deposit.

Even gave me a hat! Hypothetically.

How would you feel about that one?
smokewagon,

I am not fond of hypotheticals. Is this a real event or are you just flying the flag to see if people solute it??

If real then what, in dollar terms, constitutes a "significant" increase. What was the agreed to price before hypothetical increase?

/ Dealer backing out of deal #16  
from a different perspective do you think they would be ok if you made a mistake on how much tractor you could afford and wanted your deposit back? would it affect future exchanges between you and them?

/ Dealer backing out of deal #17  
I had a car sales manager try to pull the same crap on me, once they were in the process of switching over my plates to the new vehicle.
I basically told him to shove his vehicle were the sun don,t shine.
Later that evening I asked my good friend who worked at that dealership as a salesman what was really up with this thief, and he told me that the manager screwed up so many of his sales trying to pull that stunt that he organized a meeting with the two of them, and the owner. My friend was 6' 4", 250 pounds and the sales manager was about 5'8". While they were in the meeting, my pissed off friend said he grabbed the manager by the throat, and lifted him 6 inches off the floor. It,s a good thing the owner was there, cause he was able to grab my buddies arm and pull it down so the manager could start breathing again. Shortly after, the sales manager was let go and un-employed. My friend said he had finally had enough, and one of them had to go. Since that time, I have never trusted salesman of any kind. IF I buy something new, it is an OTD agreed to price. Simple yes, or no. If yes, the deal is signed and delivered the same day.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #18  
How much more $$$ do they want now? If you paid anything before leaving and they are changing the terms...I would take my money elsewhere.

Last edited:
   / Dealer backing out of deal #19  
I'd take my best guess on if the dealer made an honest mistake or tried to pull a fast one.

If the latter, I'd walk. Politely, but I'd walk.

If I felt it was an honest mistake, I'd visit the dealer, lay a guilt trip on them, and gently push for a peace offering.

/ Dealer backing out of deal #20  
Lots of hypothetical variables here. If I could get the same tractor at another dealer, I'm gone. If I can get another tractor with which I will be happy at another dealer, I'm gone. If I was stuck with this dealer for some reason, I would find some things to scale back. Hypothetically, if you were getting any add-ons or upgrades, cancel those and let him know you cannot afford the mistake (even if hypothetically you can).

If you get engaged and your fiancee tells you the next day that she slept with her ex that night...not exactly a great way to start a relationship... Hypothetically.