Dead Truck Battery

/ Dead Truck Battery #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
Since I retired I don't drive my truck unless I need a truck hauling or pulling something. With fuel prices the way they are we go in the car or on the motorcycle when possible. So I have in the past year replaced the both batteries in my 2018 ram because after it sitting for a week or so it would not crank. This time I paid attention and after the truck sitting about 18 days I needed to go to Homedepot and the truck would not turn over everything lit up but no turning over put my jump box on and cranked right up. We went to town and it cranked every time we stopped and shut it off. So my question, is this about normal for a newer model truck with all the electronics on them and maybe I need to put a battery tender on it like I have on the motorcycle?

/ Dead Truck Battery #2  
Put a tender on it. New trucks all pull power constantly, even when the key is off. Not much but over a long period they can flatten the battery. Mine is on a tender all the time.

/ Dead Truck Battery #3  
Trickle charge the batteries and have them load tested at the local auto parts store.
If they load test fine, trickle charger should help... just make sure the charger has some kind of auto shut off.

/ Dead Truck Battery #4  
Years back friend had Ford pickup which was park on slight tilt about month,enough so light stay on inside engine on hood dead battery...wonder do they still offer light under hood???

/ Dead Truck Battery #5  
I agree with the tender but if you don't want to go that route, there's a fuse that disconnects all power drain from the battery. They use it when the trucks sit on the lot for awhile and they don't want to kill the battery with the parasitic drain. The fuse is called an IOD fuse, Ignition Off Draw, you could pull that or put a master switch on the battery. I'd go with the tender if you're parked close to power but the fuse in an option if you don't...............Mike

/ Dead Truck Battery #6  
Since I retired I don't drive my truck unless I need a truck hauling or pulling something. With fuel prices the way they are we go in the car or on the motorcycle when possible. So I have in the past year replaced the both batteries in my 2018 ram because after it sitting for a week or so it would not crank. This time I paid attention and after the truck sitting about 18 days I needed to go to Homedepot and the truck would not turn over everything lit up but no turning over put my jump box on and cranked right up. We went to town and it cranked every time we stopped and shut it off. So my question, is this about normal for a newer model truck with all the electronics on them and maybe I need to put a battery tender on it like I have on the motorcycle?
I have a 2017 Ram CTD and what you're describing ain't right.

What alternator came with your truck? They offer several. If you got just the basic one, it might not be enough to keep your batteries up to snuff.

But even the base-stock one should do the job.

If I let mine sit for more than a week, I'll usually charge the batteries. But that's me.

If you're just starting the truck and and not letting it run long enough to charge the batteries, you need to put a charger on it once in a while. Somebody in here recommended a NOCO to me so I bought a Genius2 and I've only used it once but it's nice. A lot easier than dragging the charger and the associated cords around. Plus, with the Genius2, I can just close the Hood on the cord and walk away from it. Even outdoors.

I got the feeling it's gonna put my Schumacher out of business.

But, if I were you, I'd check all the obvious problem areas..... Loose connections, poor ground, bad alternator, bad batteries, dead draw

/ Dead Truck Battery #7  
Instead of a Tender, if you park outside a solar battery maintainer on the dash plugged into the cigar lighter works too.

/ Dead Truck Battery #8  
Sounds pretty normal to me. New trucks either need to be driven or on a trickle charger.

My Chevy sits in the garage most of the time, and if I haven't started it in a month, the battery will not crank it over. I have it on NOCO trickle charger for it and my dump truck.

/ Dead Truck Battery #9  
Sounds pretty normal to me. New trucks either need to be driven or on a trickle charger.

My Chevy sits in the garage most of the time, and if I haven't started it in a month, the battery will not crank it over. I have it on NOCO trickle charger for it and my dump truck.
Sounds normal to me too. Most - not all - new vehicles need a trickle charger - minimal, but it needs it.
You can do a manual breaker, but then need to reset stuff when you use it.
Anything works for trickle. Solar, 110V, chipmunks?
For longer lasting battery get a dual purpose starter/marine type. AGM. I've switched to Odyssey Brand on mine. Bought them online.
rScotty

/ Dead Truck Battery
I have a 2017 Ram CTD and what you're describing ain't right.

What alternator came with your truck? They offer several. If you got just the basic one, it might not be enough to keep your batteries up to snuff.

But even the base-stock one should do the job.

If I let mine sit for more than a week, I'll usually charge the batteries. But that's me.

If you're just starting the truck and and not letting it run long enough to charge the batteries, you need to put a charger on it once in a while. Somebody in here recommended a NOCO to me so I bought a Genius2 and I've only used it once but it's nice. A lot easier than dragging the charger and the associated cords around. Plus, with the Genius2, I can just close the Hood on the cord and walk away from it. Even outdoors.

I got the feeling it's gonna put my Schumacher out of business.

But, if I were you, I'd check all the obvious problem areas..... Loose connections, poor ground, bad alternator, bad batteries, dead draw
I had my alternator checked when I replaced the batteries and I do have the HD and it was showing good voltage. All connections have been checked I was hoping I had missed something.

Instead of a Tender, if you park outside a solar battery maintainer on the dash plugged into the cigar lighter works too.
I like the solar idea cause when we go camping and carry the motorcycle the truck may not get cranked until it is time to go home. I do carry a NOCO jump box with me so I don't get stranded and I also keep it in the bike incase someone needs it.