Traction Dead TC29D

/ Dead TC29D #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
Went to move my TC29D this evening. Turn the key to start glow plugs and the light does not come on. Very thing is dead. I have no lights, no flashers or anything. First thought well maybe the grandchildren left the lights on but that was not it.

Checked all fuses including the master one and they are all fine. Checked terminals on battery to make sure they were tight. I had voltage at the battery and starter. Put the battery charger on and still nothing not even the flashers.

Any suggestions I have not dug really deep into it as of yet.

/ Dead TC29D #2  
Went to move my TC29D this evening. Turn the key to start glow plugs and the light does not come on. Very thing is dead. I have no lights, no flashers or anything. First thought well maybe the grandchildren left the lights on but that was not it.

Checked all fuses including the master one and they are all fine. Checked terminals on battery to make sure they were tight. I had voltage at the battery and starter. Put the battery charger on and still nothing not even the flashers.

Any suggestions I have not dug really deep into it as of yet.

Does it have an Main inline fuse? Most do usually near the alternator. Cant speak to the TC29D, but many brands have them. Usually wrapped up in tape.

/ Dead TC29D
Does it have an Main inline fuse? Most do usually near the alternator. Cant speak to the TC29D, but many brands have them. Usually wrapped up in tape.

Yes it does have a main separate from the fuse box and it is fine.

/ Dead TC29D #4  
OK, time to pull out the "ignition" key switch and measure for voltage there, You will likely need a schematic to figure out the switch and its contacts.

/ Dead TC29D
OK, time to pull out the "ignition" key switch and measure for voltage there, You will likely need a schematic to figure out the switch and its contacts.
Yeah I was kind of figuring that but what I don't understand is why no Flashers. They have always worked without the key being on.

/ Dead TC29D #6  
Start with voltage at battery, how much ?
Voltage at starter both battery line and keys witch line when key is turned to start position.
Is there a solenoid, separate from the starter or on the starter ?
Then go to the dash, power at key switch, in and out for normal run and for start ?

Good luck.

/ Dead TC29D #7  
When tracing out voltage, use the frame rather than the negative battery terminal, in case you have a bad ground.

/ Dead TC29D #8  
When tracing out voltage, use the frame rather than the negative battery terminal, in case you have a bad ground.

Good idea. Yes, the flashers not working either is a clue.. Do you have a schematic of the wiring? It could be a bad ground cable. Not uncommon for them to "rot" out on the inside of the insulation. They look good, but don't carry current.

/ Dead TC29D #9  

thcri - When you hooked up the charger, did you hook the negative cable to the negative post or the frame? If the post, connect it to the frame to see if that gets everything working, particularly before trouble shooting the switch.

/ Dead TC29D
Thanx for all your help everyone. I called my dealer today since I didn't have time myself, well they didn't have time to look at it but he told me he would bet his next pay check on it being the ground. So when I got home I totally pulled the ground off the battery and frame and checked it over.. Everything looked good and tight. I sanded the battery terminal and connector and put back on. Nothing so I took the negative off again so I could work on the positive doing the same on the positive. When inspecting the positive I noticed a crack in the connector but didn't think that had anything to do with it so I put it back on and bingo,,,, the connector broke in half while tightening it down. Went out and got a new end and I am working again. I should have took the guy up on his offer. It still does not make sense as far as the flashers not working because it was just a crack broke as I tightened it.

Attachments

• image-3336729586.jpg
    image-3336729586.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 117