De-carbonizing

/ De-carbonizing #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
One of my old diesels has not been run at high RPM for many years and I want to clean it out. My thought is to clean it by running it for awhile stationary at some higher RPM and maybe with some sort of diesel cleaning additive in the fuel. Any thoughts on that?
rScotty

/ De-carbonizing #2  
Seafoam will decarbon the engine mix with the fuel and with the motor oil.

/ De-carbonizing #3  
Truck?? Tractor?? If its a tractor, block the clutch so its disengaged..put some seafoam in the tank..fire it up and run it up to max...it may not want to get all the way to max rpm..just let it run..soon it will start climbing until it hits the right level...keep an eye on the temp gauge...and use good diesel fuel... PS: I run Power Service in my tractor and 7.3 F350. good luck. BobG in VA

/ De-carbonizing #6  
Why are you blocking the clutch rather than just putting in neutral.

It's no biggie guys...no reason to spin up the trans/hyd pump (if its in the case with the trans) unless you want to...when I said to run it up, I meant let it go for a about 2 hours...it will ultimately clean up a dirty diesel's insides as well as the fuel system. Hey, let the trans whine if you want to...BobG in VA

/ De-carbonizing #7  
An old boy taught me how to de-carbonize the inside of an engine years ago. Pretty simple too! Get a spray bottle filled with water and remove the intake tube. Start the engine and warm to operating temperature, raise throttle to about 1/3rd and mist the intake but do not stall! The steam made from the heat will literally steam clean the inside of the engine for you. Works like a champ and if you are going to rebuild your pistons and heads will have little or no carbon to clean and water is cheap!

/ De-carbonizing #8  
Or put a little trans. fluid in ur fuel tank. That'll clean it out, but watch temp. and rpm gauges.

/ De-carbonizing #9  
I did the steam cleaning on a Chevy Nova I6 that had a crack in the head over one cylinder. When I got it torn down, as you said, the piston top and head were squeaky clean.

I did the Sea foam thing on a couple of air cooled tools (Mistic tiller and Poulan Chain saw), recovering both and I kept it in my 90 hp 2 cycle outboard in every tank of gas. I know the can says for diesel engines too. I put a can in my truck every so often with a fresh tank of gas. If you are in a hurry to clean it out, Google "decarb" or go to the "iboats" boating forums and look in the archives for the word.

I use Power Services products for my diesel tractors and it works. I recently cleaned up my 2000 that was smoking more than I liked. 3700 original hours without a wrench on the main engine (accessories excluded).