Dayton AC/DC Welders - Any good?

/ Dayton AC/DC Welders - Any good? #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
I have a lead on a barely used Dayton Model 3X564 250 AC/DC stick welder.

Are these a good brand? Reliable?

I don't need a fast welder or one that is commercial...just a acreage welder.

/ Dayton AC/DC Welders - Any good?
This is the specs I found online...

Item 250 Ampere AC/DC Welder
Input (Amps) 76
OCV 78
Output Amps @20% Duty Cycle 250
Output Amps @100% Duty Cycle 30
Welding Range (Amps AC) 30-250
Welding Range (Amps DC) 30-250

/ Dayton AC/DC Welders - Any good? #3  
I do not know the model but if it appears to be in good shape and the price is fair buy it.
When I was taking a welding course the instructor use to sell welding machines. One customer insisted he needed higher duty welding machines because his welders were running at a higher duty rate. The instructor said that standard commerical pruduction machine would rated enough. So they secretly installed meters on the supply circuits and found out the actual arc strike time was not as high as the boss had thought.
The boss had a fit and turned the current slightly higher on the machines ( no knobs for the welder ). This causes the welder to run the bead faster or you get burn through.

Do not worry about the duty cycle as long as it cools as designed, you are not that fast.

Craig Clayton

/ Dayton AC/DC Welders - Any good? #4  
No way in heck would I work for anyone like that. Not every machine is the same and not every welder can work at the same amperage and do good work. If all they are concerned with is production, then I am sure quality of workmanship is far from their minds. If I knew what the sold, I for sure wouldn buy any of it.

Off topic...Not discussing bad company owners.

Looking to see if it is a reliable brand.

/ Dayton AC/DC Welders - Any good? #6  
They've been selling transformer machines a long time, and there isn't much to them so get a good price and have at it. DC machines are an advantage and the amp range is plenty.

DONE...thanks. The guy is holding it for me until I get to it.

/ Dayton AC/DC Welders - Any good? #8  
The only thing about older transformer machines is they weigh a lot and that one will need a good 80 amp breaker. If it is all in good shape, it will probably outlast you. They are fairly simple but not very portable. If is is going to set in the shop and you put some long leads on it. then no problem. Of course the modern inverter machines you can throw their carry strap over your shoulder and walk off with it. But they are much more complex. Get it hook it up and have at it. Heck it probably has more than $150 of copper in it.:)

James K0UA

/ Dayton AC/DC Welders - Any good? #9  
I run my Miller 340 (570A output max!) off a 50A breaker, but obviously don't max it out.

50A is, in practice, sufficient for most users of 250A-300A Miller, Lincoln, etc transformer machines and that is well documented in many welding forums. There are plenty of Miller 330s running off them.

A lot of later transformer machines have aluminum windings, but weld just fine.

Have fun, and make friends with 6011 or 6010 first. Yes, they spatter, but they penetrate and are excellent for repair work on farm equipment in the real world. There is good reason we trained structural and pipe welders on 6010 first!

Drop by welding forums like weldingweb, the Miller forums, and the Hobart forums for additional education.

A close up picture of the welder reveals a 100% duty cycle below 105 amps and a 20% duty cycle above that point. Plenty for me.

It also has 10ft leads and a 20 foot power cord.