D_DAY

/ D_DAY #1  

David USMC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jd 345
Decision time has arrived. Ive read the posts, posted my own responses. Loans have been approved by both Kubota and Deere. The rates are surely going to go up..!!!!The deciding factor after all this ruminating is going to be the physical size and weight of the tractor. JD4400 HST Vs Kubota 2910. Here in North Carolina we have compactable red clay. Im very concerned about what a heavy tractor may do to a lawn, and garden areas. But, I do realize that the footprint on the soil based on tire size etc may be less for each tractor. The interest rates are sure to go up so, any insightful input you could provide would be appreciated.

/ D_DAY #2  
David USMC,

You sure you NEED something that big for your acreage? I know you've said you want a backhoe, did you know that you can put a backhoe on a New Holland TC18, TC21, Smaller B Kubota's? And have less weight compacting your lawn while mowing! Just my thoughts! Weren't you the guy who was scared away by the size of the tractor/loader/backhoe of a JD unit about the size of what you're looking at now? Take a look at a smaller New Holland or Kubota with the same set up.

Good Luck...I mean it!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ D_DAY
Yeah, the Deere physical set-up caused second thoughts since I know compacting the soil with heavy equipment negates any soil building approach...compost or any organic material. If, I cant decide before the end of June what tractor to buy, well maybe next year may bring a lighter weight Deere that will do what the Kubota will do. Greenspan may have a say in what I pay for it,however.

/ D_DAY #4  
David, much is made about interest rates, but if you have Quicken or another program that can show you the difference in rates/interest paid bring up the amortization tables, you will find that even at the longest loan period of 5 years (60 months) for your size tractor its not a huge deal. 1 point or even 2 is probably not going to change your mind. Now if its a home mortgage over 30 years .25 pts will make a gigantic difference. Also, not to in anyway, shape, form, etc, etc, ad nauseum, pick what you want, colors are all good, blah, blah , blah, just be sure to thouroughly check out the HST transmissions if you are opting for one. I think you will have to agree with Mark and me (I'm the other Mark that goes by Rat), Kubota's is better. If your not going with HST, then all the colors are good blah, blah, blah (trying to politically correct, but I'm lousy at it) Rat...

/ D_DAY #5  
New Holland has 12 mths. 0% 3.9 36 mths. Did you rule Blue out?

/ D_DAY #6  
Every time I see "give away" money in interest rates, I wonder where the money is coming from? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ D_DAY
Thanks for the input, my wife said the same thing about the interest rates. I'll get this surgery out of the way and then make a decision. Thanks again. P.S. sat on the 2910 tonight and that hydro is smooth. I wish the BX2200 had an rpm gauge, sat on that one too. Im curious, do you just go to max throttle to operate the belly mower..QQQ

/ D_DAY
I have to admit Ive focused on Deere and Kubota. I know Fiat owns New Holland . Are the engines and trannies coming from Japan...QQQ. If so who is doing the final assembly and where..QQQ

/ D_DAY #9  
Hi David,

I just received my B2910 with R4's. We also have a predominantly clay-type soil (with a lot of rocks). I currently have a LA402 loader installed and have a Woods 7500 backhoe on order.

Since I just got my machine, I only have a couple of hours experience with it, and I'm not using mine to cut the lawn.

I have noticed very slight "compaction tracks" on the lawn the day after driving my tractor over it. Keep in mind that we have had a lot of rain in the last week or so, so the soil is soft and a bit "squishy". I know that has a lot to do with it, 'cause if it dries out, the ground is as hard as a rock. I doubt there will be a problem once things dry out.

The backhoe adds about 1,000 lbs. to the weight of the machine, so I'm sure there might be an even more noticeable effect on the lawn with the extra weight.

My guess is that if you'll be using the machine for cutting the lawn, the backhoe will be removed and you could even quickly remove the loader, if you want to shed a lot of weight.

One other option someone else once mentioned on this board is to buy the tractor you need for the heavy stuff, then buy an inexpensive MTD or Scotts (made by Deere, I think) garden/lawn tractor to do the lawn. I guess that depends upon how much lawn you have to cut, but the low-line lawn tractors are cheaper than the mid-mount mowers for the larger compact utility tractors. Home Depot has the Scotts tractors.

I also have to say that I was watching interest rates and wondering what Mr. Greenspan would do, and finally said: "The heck with everyone else, this is what I want." and went out and bought it.

Of course I'm a bit biased toward Orange, but whichever machine you get, you're sure to love it. I can't believe the power that is available in a machine this size.

Good Luck

~Rick

/ D_DAY #10  
Wen; I am shure it's NH trying to steal a little market share just like Home Depo did when they moved into my area. Loose a little money up front, if your pockets are deep enough you wait for your competition to fall and PRESTO you have no competition...