Cutting vinyl fence rails

/ Cutting vinyl fence rails #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I need to cut some vinyl fence rails to stagger the seams. Can I do this on my miter saw or should I do it by hand with a hack saw? I am worried about them shattering like PVC pipe has a tendency to do with a miter saw.

/ Cutting vinyl fence rails #4  
Vinyl siding is cut with a mitre saw with the blade in backwards. Maybe give that a try. I worry a Sawzall would "wander" but jig saw should work.

Can you ask the person who sold it to you?

/ Cutting vinyl fence rails #5  
I use a jig saw with a shorter blade for up to 4'' inch and under PVC.
I use a sawzall with a longer blade for 6'' and larger PVC.:)

That would be great if the OP wanted to cut PVC :rolleyes:

Eric . The best way I,ve found cutting the vinyl fence rails is a slow speed band saw . It wont split, crack Or melt it as other tools will. Granted it only will work if Your cutting it before its up .

I,ve also had luck using an Air cutoff grinder But it will tend to melt it if going at it to quick. Best of luck. Bob

/ Cutting vinyl fence rails #6  
Miter saw with blade on backwards. Blade should be one for cutting veneer plywood (many teeth). Preferably not carbide tipped, but that's just my preference. Shattering of pvc occurs usually if you let the pipe move whiel cutting or have the wrong sort of blade (construction carbide tipped ripping blade). I have a general purpose 60 tooth carbide tipped blade in the miter saw and I cut everythign with it, except vinyl (see above).

/ Cutting vinyl fence rails #7  
You can flip the blade if you want but a miter saw will work without flipping the blade ( I do it all the time) just go SLOW through the material. Just don't use a new blade cause it won't be good for cutting wood anymore! Vinyl will dull the blade on the first cut.

/ Cutting vinyl fence rails #8  
flip the miter saw blade. . . if you don't the rails will tend to chip as the blade hits them

/ Cutting vinyl fence rails #9  
Its a given just like others said, flip the blade. I do the same with cutting vinyl siding. I learned that anything that is thin and needs a straight cut without chipping, flippin the blade works wonders.

/ Cutting vinyl fence rails #10  
The best and handiest saw I ever owned was my Craftsman 10" radial arm saw, and I used the same general purpose blade for cutting everything. It did the smoothest cuts you've ever seen on PVC pipe, vinyl mobile home skirting, etc. And yep, the normal position for the blade would be backwards to what a table saw or miter saw blade would normally be.