Cutting, Raking, and Baling this week - YouTube Videos

/ Cutting, Raking, and Baling this week - YouTube Videos
kbuegel,

Sure, I can post some shots. I don't have a whole lot of close-ups, but enough to get the idea. I also have a "before" shot. We really worked through the rake from top-to-bottom, replacing all the bearings that needed to be replaced and repacking the rest (there was more of the former than the latter!). That thing has a whole bunch of bearings, that's for sure. 10 on the tine bars, 3 in the gearbox, 1 on each of the spider wheel splines, in the wheels... everywhere! It actually was a pretty fun project though. My retired father came and stayed with us for three weeks and we worked on it like crazy to get it done in time for hay season. So that's why I'm so pleased it is working well in the videos... :)

Chet

32792IMG_6318-med.jpg

32792IMG_0755-med.jpg

32792IMG_0758-med.jpg

32792IMG_0757-med.jpg

32792IMG_1997-med.jpg

/ Cutting, Raking, and Baling this week - YouTube Videos #12  
You have some nice smooth fields there! I wish I could stay on my tractor when raking that fast!

/ Cutting, Raking, and Baling this week - YouTube Videos #13  
Nice job on the rake!..when i first started out, i was running a 258 and 260 NH with a dolly..(i was running rubber teeth instead of the steel ones you have)those rakes were truly bullet proof! Keep up the great work!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Chet

/ Cutting, Raking, and Baling this week - YouTube Videos #15  
for those of us not up on all the models but like to keep up with what equipment does what..

that JD4520 is listed at a 53hp machine
the rake is a 8-8.5'
and the cickle bar is 7' (i think)

/ Cutting, Raking, and Baling this week - YouTube Videos #16  
By running the rake that fast, she's knocking all the seeds off the grain contents. That's the food value so there's a lot of waste in that hurry-up activity. If you have her run the rake to move/slide the hay into a windrow instead of beating the crap out of it, your hay will have some real food value instead of just chew value. The closeups showed grass seeds, etc in the freshly cut field. Bet they're not there anymore ! Your customers will spot that kind of hay real fast.

zzvyb6,

Thanks for the feedback, thats a good point. To be honest, we aren't really used to thinking about how badly we "abuse" the grass (like I hear folks that grow alfalfa have to), since the Coastal Bermuda we typically work with has leaves that are firmly attached to the stem and no seeds. But you are right, for the Winter Rye, it wouldn't hurt to be more gentle.

Thanks!

Chet

/ Cutting, Raking, and Baling this week - YouTube Videos #19  
Egon said:
Does you wife also compete in the local stock car races??:D :D :D
LOL that's what I was thinking also, she hauls butt.

/ Cutting, Raking, and Baling this week - YouTube Videos #20  
PaulChristenson said:
Why didn't you swing the baler out so you wouldn't have to run over your windrow?:confused:
With the high cost of fuel these days, single roller-bar rakes like a NH 256 may become less desirable. That entire field could have been raked in less than one hour by a V rake (wheel or hydraulic) or double rotary rake. These larger rakes will rake 10-20 acres per hour easy. A new Vermeer 20' rake sells for $3,100 in our market.