cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #21  
Hire someone. Sometimes it's good to let the pros do it
It can also end up being the cheapest. Tractors in ponds and funeral cost are expensive!

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #22  
   / cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #23  
Wondering if anyone has tried to put some sort of outrigger on their tractor or zero turn for extra safety when mowing a steep hill. I have an old JD 425 garden tractor with 48" deck in good condition and a year old Cub Cadet zero turn with steering wheel and 60" deck. Any ideas or experience. One end is the dam on my pond and I cut both sides. The other end has steep hill that looks like the dam but is the water entry. It is maybe steeper than the dam end. T compound the problem I do not even cut across the pond from the house. To steep for me and I have major health issues. I had a good parcel of pear grass growing but my neighbor thought he would do me a favor and weed eat it all. Lot of ruts over there caused by road runoff going across a gravel lot into my pond. neighbor does not have a culvert pipe so I get all the rutting. I also have a JD 2210 with a front loader and 54" deck. Use it to fill the ruts when I have a chance. Thanks dddenden
I am 79 and not as spry as I once was... and I can see with your medical assist mechanisms neither are you. Forget the "outrigger" though that is an innovation I have not thought of before ! I think in order to be effective it would be expensive and not the right solution. On top of being a unique one of a kind contraption hard to get on and off and in the end a mess for you. Forget it.

The guy who suggests backing down as close the water as you dare made a good suggestion PROVIDED YOU HAVE GREAT BRAKES and the confidence and ability to both hold the tractor on the steep and to move back up the hill. This is not novice stuff...

I say your best option is to get some wheel spacers installed on a 4WD tractor (which ever one has AG tires) for added stability on steep slopes, let the grass VERY close to the water simply go and admire it, and hire some kid to string trim the last 2 feet closest the water twice a year.

Any chance you can post a photo or two of your pond edge and slopes ?

Last edited:
   / cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #24  
I mow the steep slopes with my 425 and 455 by sitting on the edge of the seat, but both have AWS. Previous 425 without AWS just would not work as well and would not stick to the slope.
AWS holds much, much better on slopes and can go on a slope that the tires will not slip down the slope. At 83, can do it on a regular basis but requires the strength and fortitude to sit on the edge of the seat.

As money is a problem, don't think mowing on your slopes is going to happen.
Consider the Ventrac for the safest solution.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #25  
For what it's worth, my grandfather, approaching 80 years old, with a bad heart, would cut a very steep bank alongside his house, about 75 feet high, 300 feet long, with a sythe. He'd pick a cool morning, work at it for 3 minutes, sit in the shade for 10, take a drink and repeat.
Essentially, a weed-eater, used judiciously, for short period, might be the way to make it happen.
I'm even thinking that an electric machine would lower the exertion.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #26  
Sounds like a lot to me.I can think of several things that could go wrong on a steep hill with a pond. Hire it out or just let it grow.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #27  
My 'outside the box' suggestion would be to get a couple of goats or sheep and fence in the area. Let them handle it.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #28  
can get modified ag tires for the ZT - Ive never tried them but have read reviews here and traction GREATLY improved specifically on steep hills.

Here's a thread here with pic with talk about them:

Tires - Running tractor tires on a zero turn

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #29  
If I lived close I'd come cut it. You could pay me with a cold glass of ice water life ain't all about the money. It's about the good you can do for others.