cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #1  

dddenden

Tractor
JD425, JD2210, Cub Cadet 60" Pro Z 500
Wondering if anyone has tried to put some sort of outrigger on their tractor or zero turn for extra safety when mowing a steep hill. I have an old JD 425 garden tractor with 48" deck in good condition and a year old Cub Cadet zero turn with steering wheel and 60" deck. Any ideas or experience. One end is the dam on my pond and I cut both sides. The other end has steep hill that looks like the dam but is the water entry. It is maybe steeper than the dam end. T compound the problem I do not even cut across the pond from the house. To steep for me and I have major health issues. I had a good parcel of pear grass growing but my neighbor thought he would do me a favor and weed eat it all. Lot of ruts over there caused by road runoff going across a gravel lot into my pond. neighbor does not have a culvert pipe so I get all the rutting. I also have a JD 2210 with a front loader and 54" deck. Use it to fill the ruts when I have a chance. Thanks dddenden

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom
I have an LVAD (left ventricle assist device) Like a fuel pump attached to heart. Runs at 5300 rpm 24/7. Wire goes into my stomach to the pump. Carry 2 large batteries and control device at all times. I weigh an extra 10 pounds. Probably should not get them wet.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #4  
Simplest thing for stability is duals on drive axle but that does not provide any aide for traction and most likely make tractor significantly wider than mower deck.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom
Like to but it would cost more than i can afford on social security. Already hire a guy to just do trimming for $60/cut.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #7  
^^^^
The machines available that can safely cut in those conditions are expensive too. I have one of the less expensive options and it wasn’t cheap.

Hired help might really be the best option. I certainly wouldn’t want to risk my health/life on a good looking hillside.

Mike

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #9  
Zero turn on side hill is bad! If it starts to slide down the hill, pull back on levers to get it going backwards up the hill. If you push forward, you will be in the water. I like the idea of a duels, especially on the down hill side.

/ cutting on a steep hill - pond at the bottom #10  
I would recommend not trying the zero turn on the slope. The 425 would be better. But, I don't know how steep the slope is. It sounds like a mistake could be life threatening for you. You gotta weigh the risk/ reward. Is there someone local you know that would help you by mowing it with your lawn tractor to see if it is safe enough for you? even just driving it on the slope and not mowing would tell you what you need to know. It could be a 5 min after dinner thing.