custom hose cost

/ custom hose cost #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
So I had my local shop make some hoses. The price came to $3/ft for 3/8" R16 hose, $6/ straight fitting and $12/ 45* fitting then $4/ crimp. I know each part is more than it would cost me form a place like DHH but does this sound like the going rate for custom hoses?

/ custom hose cost #3  
none of the places I go to charge to crimp the hose. It is already figured into the price of hose and fittings. Just as an example I priced some 1/4" hose at .31 per inch 3.72 per foot at my local parts store.
Rob

/ custom hose cost #4  
My local shop wanted $3.20 a foot and $5.00 per hose for crimping. I went with DHH, they shipped out my hoses the same day and saved me some cash.

/ custom hose cost
My local shop wanted $3.20 a foot and $5.00 per hose for crimping. I went with DHH, they shipped out my hoses the same day and saved me some cash.

How does DHH price custom hoses? Do they charge the amount for the hose and fittings on their web site plus a crimping fee?

/ custom hose cost #6  
How does DHH price custom hoses? Do they charge the amount for the hose and fittings on their web site plus a crimping fee?

You have to call them for custom made hose. For a comparison I purchased a 20' 1/4 R2 hose with male NPT fittings crimped on each end for $37.12. I purchased 2 of these hoses and some other misc. fittings, UPS from PA to ME was $12.72, so they are not gouging on shipping.

/ custom hose cost
You have to call them for custom made hose. For a comparison I purchased a 20' 1/4 R2 hose with male NPT fittings crimped on each end for $37.12. I purchased 2 of these hoses and some other misc. fittings, UPS from PA to ME was $12.72, so they are not gouging on shipping.

Thanks for that info. It looks like they charged about $5.75 per crimp on top of the material cost. I think I will go this route when I get the hoses for my TNT. The hoses I just got were to plumb the rear remotes to get ready for the TNT.

/ custom hose cost #8  
Man Eric, between my 3rd SCV caper, and hoses for my Electro-Diverter, grapple endeavor, you guy gotta be watchin' me! Being new at the Hydro game I wanted to deal locally. Talk about 'sticker-shock'!! Thursday I went in and got the stuff for the diverter valve hook-up: 2- 3/8" hoses 18" long $35- ea.! A handful of ORB 90*s, a pair of Female QD's $11- ea.! Get this! 2- bulkhead nipples w/JIC male (both ends) $14- ea.!! They're just nipples, with a few extra threads!!! Total? $182-!! Wanting to finish the plumbing, (and being a glutton for punishment) today I went back to get the last remaining hoses. They don't break down the crimp/hose cost, but this is what I paid: 2-pieces, 9' of 1/4" hose, w/1/4" female JIC connectors: $56.11 ea.! One 7'-2" and one 6'-4" : 49.34 & 27.44 respectively! Wow!! Glad I'm typing this! 10" of hose on those last ones, is $22- difference??? Well, they're installed, but I'm going back Monday for and explaination! Total for the day $225-!!! I thought when your 'talkin' Hydro, the 'bucks' were in the rams and valves! Boy, am I learning! ~Scotty

/ custom hose cost #9  
Well. I guess no one read my post about hose jobs, pun intended.. Always get an estimate for what you want done. Premade hoses are made in volume, and they can do it cheaper. If you just get the standard hose with pipe threads and add the fittings that you need, you will come out better in the long run. An inch or two over will not make a whole lot of difference, but an inch under will bring you up short. . If you want neat purty stuff, it will cost you because they think you have no other place to go for your hoses, and you need it now. I have taken my INTERNET prices in with me when I purchase hydraulic stuff, and often they will match prices. It won't do much to go back to argue with anyone, because they will say, you ordered it, and you got it. They are not going to take it back. Just go in the next time, with a good understanding of things, and a complete list with measurements, and tell them not to make anything until you have an estimate, and you have agreed on the price.

/ custom hose cost #10  
J_J- I do read your posts, and value your expertise! I can't say that I've paid alot of attention to the Hydro-Line ones, simply, 'cause I didn't quite know what I was getting into, until my recent 'hose-ing'!! A week ago I didn't know an ORB from a JIC! Guess the thing that gets me is that they're 'cutting/crimping' this stuff, while you wait! It's not that I wanted a 7' hose, that's stock, 'on the rack', but one that's 10" shorter, they have to make! They're making all of them, off the same spool of stock! I'll have no problem ordering stuff on-line for future projects, just that I wanted to get my 'feet wet', on this first project, with a local supplier! Obviously, taking them back, is not an option, after all, I told them what I wanted, got exactly what I wanted, and they're installed. I just want to inquiry about their pricing structure!! I didn't realize that those 'wet feet' I was experiencing would be the result of my bladder down-loading, when I saw the bill!! To quote you: "Just go in the next time, with a good understanding of things, and a complete list with measurements, and tell them not to make anything until you have an estimate, and you have agreed on the price."............Wise words indeed! ~Scotty