Custom Hay Baling

/ Custom Hay Baling #21  
$20 bales are a thing of the past. This year in Texas they are running around $35/roll. Last year with the drought, they were $60-$85/roll. If you don't have your own trailer, hauling costs add up quick. Custon haybaling is usually $20/roll. I agree, that equipment breaks down all the time, so you better be a good mechanic or have a lot of money to pay somebody to fix it.

/ Custom Hay Baling #22  
mlauk said:
$20 bales are a thing of the past. This year in Texas they are running around $35/roll. Last year with the drought, they were $60-$85/roll. If you don't have your own trailer, hauling costs add up quick. Custon haybaling is usually $20/roll. I agree, that equipment breaks down all the time, so you better be a good mechanic or have a lot of money to pay somebody to fix it.
NO HAY FOR SALE next year. You can bet that most cattle operations in the southeast will not sell any excess hay next year. I for one will stock pile extra hay close to a year's usage backup. Many of the small operations used to purchasing hay will have to harvest their own hay or pay the high prices. Hay prices will be as high next year. 5x5 bales here are bringing $95-120 each for any kind of hay.

/ Custom Hay Baling
Wow - you guys are going thru what we went thru last year. Man, it was ugly. Hay is not selling in Texas right now. I suspect it will pick up soon. I saw hay going for $100, but not $120. Man - that is crazy.

We have had so much rain some people are getting 11 bales per acre per cutting. That is crazy too...

D.

/ Custom Hay Baling #24  
ddivinia said:
Wow - you guys are going thru what we went thru last year. Man, it was ugly. Hay is not selling in Texas right now. I suspect it will pick up soon. I saw hay going for $100, but not $120. Man - that is crazy.

We have had so much rain some people are getting 11 bales per acre per cutting. That is crazy too...

D.
It is cheaper to buy feed and corn gluten than hay and you know what your are getting in the feed. We are feeding 3-5 LBS a day per head of feed. We are rationing the hay.

/ Custom Hay Baling #25  
We paid $22 to get 6 x 5 net wrapped bales close to Tyler. I like the net wrap better than twine. Nylon or poly twine is used here, and the net is much quicker to cut off the bale.

/ Custom Hay Baling
Are you taking in account storage costs, delivery, and feed labor? Putting out round bales sure is easy and I am cutting my own grass.

D.

/ Custom Hay Baling
I paid $20 to cut, rake, bale 4 * 6 bales. You are right the wrap is much nicer. This baler I am looking at has coveredge which is pretty slick. It extends the wrap out to the edge of the bale.

D.