Custom Hay Baling Rates & Deals

/ Custom Hay Baling Rates & Deals #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I am checking into have one of my pastures of wheat baled. If we don't rain here soon, there will be no hay crop. So, one of the guys said $18 a roll with wrap for these wheat bales. Does that price seem about right?

How do these baling deals work?

What kind of deals do people have in place today?

Thanks,
D.

/ Custom Hay Baling Rates & Deals #2  
I really have no idea of current prices, but 7 or 8 years ago when I was helping a neighbor cut and bale hay, he charged folks $12.50 a roll for 5' x 5' bales. That was to cut, rake, and bale hay. If they wanted 5' x 6' rolls that was another dollar a roll, and if they wanted the hay moved; i.e., to the edge of the field and rowed up, that was another dollar a roll.

/ Custom Hay Baling Rates & Deals
Did it depend on the size of field? He is saying 50+ acres = $16 a bale if not, $18. Seems OK, I think hay prices are going to be a killer in north central Texas again this year. Having 90 wheat bales might be good insurance.

D.

/ Custom Hay Baling Rates & Deals #4  
Does that $18/bale include cutting and raking? If it does that's a decent deal. People around us charge $10/bale just to bale and $12/bale if they want net wrap.

Yes: cut, rake, bale - $18 seems about right. Migth be a tad high, but not too bad. I am going to move forward with the deal. With the rain forecast, I am not sure we will get a hay crop this year. These wheat bales might be like gold!

D.

/ Custom Hay Baling Rates & Deals #6  
I did winter wheat round bales last year.. the steers ate em up like candy. Local farmer round baled them for $4 each.. of course they wanted to borrow my hay rake for the farm next door.

Did you cut and rake?

D.

Only got 21 bales. $18 each - oh well. It helped clean up the field and I have 21 bales to feed my longhorns!

D.