Loader Curl strength

/ Curl strength #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I have a 3720 with a 300cx FEL. I am wondering if the curl function for the bucket is strong enough. People on this forum always talk about how strong their curl is, and I am having doubts about mine.

For example, I lifted a 1500 # weight box with my pallet forks that was sitting on a pallet. The weight box was about a foot or so from the backstop on the forks.

I could lift this weight with no problem but I couldn't curl it back. It would only hold it level..

Is there any way to test this other than getting a gauge and putting it in the pressure line? If that would be the case, what would the pressure have to be for maximum curl.

Thanks,
Chuck

/ Curl strength #2  
You get far enuf forward of the pins and lift is stronger than curl. The transition seems to occur 3 to 4 feet out from the pins. System pressure would have very little effect on the distance at which it occurs -- both would strengthen as pressure rises.
larry

/ Curl strength #3  
How high was it?

Curl on pallet forks weakens as you go higher due to geometry changes - you need to keep extending the curl cylinders to keep the pallet level and your triangle collapses.

/ Curl strength
How high was it?

Curl on pallet forks weakens as you go higher due to geometry changes - you need to keep extending the curl cylinders to keep the pallet level and your triangle collapses.

The center of the rectangular block was about 2-1/2 feet from the backstop of the forks. I lifted it up level about 1-2 feet and was going to tilt it back but it wouldn't do anything and I know the curl works with lighter loads. I am assuming as I write this that it is just to heavy along with the distance from the backstop. I thought as long as I could lift it, it should be able to curl it.

/ Curl strength #5  
Hmm...based on the specs of the 300cx, I'd say it's reasonable that you couldn't curl a 1500# load 2.5 ft out - but it could go either way. Got any leaks around the bases of the curl cylinders? As others have mentioned, the pressure in the lift & curl cylinders should be the same.

/ Curl strength
Hmm...based on the specs of the 300cx, I'd say it's reasonable that you couldn't curl a 1500# load 2.5 ft out - but it could go either way. Got any leaks around the bases of the curl cylinders? As others have mentioned, the pressure in the lift & curl cylinders should be the same.

Okay, thanks for your input North Country. There aren't any leaks anywhere, and i am starting to think I just am used to the tractor and am expecting it to do more that it should. As far as digging in dirt and digging holes, everything works out okay. I was going to try the weight closer to the fork backing but I have the bucket on and i didn't feel changing it just for a test. Take care.