Cummins QSF 3.8 Delete

/ Cummins QSF 3.8 Delete #1  

LeglessCrow

Tractor
John Deere
Hey guys, I’m a tech at an equipment rental company and we’ve recently run into an issue with some failed DEF temp/quality/level sensors in our JLG telehandlers. The only fix is to install a new “upgraded” sensor and tank (comes as an assembly). The problem is that this replacement is about $3,000 and we’ve found that, as always in the rental business, even the new sensors are being destroyed while on rent from all kinds of ridiculous things. (Don’t get me started. Haha) Anyways, we’re experimenting with deleting the aftertreatment altogether to prevent having to constantly make costly repairs. Does anyone have any experience with this on a Cummins QSF3.8? I’ve searched everywhere for information on ECM reprogramming and have come up empty handed. I’ve talked to a couple companies but one charges a little over $5,000 and one $4,000 for an ECM rewrite ONLY. This seems a little outrageous and ultimately I really want to learn to do this stuff myself. So I’d appreciate a point in the right direction. Any info on software/hardware as well as where I can learn how to do this would be fantastic or a recommendation for a company that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg to do a rewrite would be great too.

Last edited:
   / Cummins QSF 3.8 Delete #2  
I'd guess that as a rental company, if you delete any of the emissions stuff, you'd want to know the legal ramifications with the gubermint should someone find out.

/ Cummins QSF 3.8 Delete #3  
Hey guys, I’m a tech at an equipment rental company and we’ve recently run into an issue with some failed DEF temp/quality/level sensors in our JLG telehandlers. The only fix is to install a new “upgraded” sensor and tank (comes as an assembly). The problem is that this replacement is about $3,000 and we’ve found that, as always in the rental business, even the new sensors are being destroyed while on rent from all kinds of ridiculous things. (Don’t get me started. Haha) Anyways, we’re experimenting with deleting the aftertreatment altogether to prevent having to constantly make costly repairs. Does anyone have any experience with this on a Cummins QSF3.8? I’ve searched everywhere for information on ECM reprogramming and have come up empty handed. I’ve talked to a couple companies but one charges a little over $5,000 and one $4,000 for an ECM rewrite ONLY. This seems a little outrageous and ultimately I really want to learn to do this stuff myself. So I’d appreciate a point in the right direction. Any info on software/hardware as well as where I can learn how to do this would be fantastic or a recommendation for a company that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg to do a rewrite would be great too.
Were you able to learn more about this? I’m interested in the same delete….Thanks

/ Cummins QSF 3.8 Delete #4  
You better check possible legal ramifications of what you are asking to do. The EPA is brutal on people who get caught.