Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #281  
They will once their doors are welded closed with them locked inside……
Just a nice covid outbreak away from that happening!
And the more we import, the more disease is possible.

Just look at the fashion districts in Milan, Italy. That was one of the epicenters of Covid and wiped out huge swaths of people. They had a direct pipeline of people & products with China.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #282  
Oooooo. “ it will NEVER happen to me…..”

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #283  
Oooooo. “ it will NEVER happen to me…..”
“15 days to slow the spread”
”masks work”

Must be true…the gov___ment says so.

Just like “we must get rid of internal combustion engines to save the environment” . The government says so, right?

Just listened to a guy that did a study and showed over a 5 year period a Humvee powered by a diesel engine had less environmental impact than an EV car.

Who cares, though. We gotta get rid of diesel engines and that all that counts.

Last edited:
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #284  
Key thing is this was dropped in the Friday news dump! Not the Monday morning news feed. May not be as big of a thing than is being blown into! Just wait on the others, (GM, Ford, etc) will be coming down the pipe. No diesel engine is safe from the overlords! Just let the dust settle as it seems to be a software "fix" and probably a numbers game starting with the CARB board in CA!

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #285  
Here's my local steel mill. Maybe they should start making industry follow the rules before they force me to buy an electric car and have a DPF muffler on my lawn mower.

I had to move out of town many years ago when we had our first child because I was sick of everything in my house and garage covered in black graphite dust.

Attachments

• 404546553_122137707200028972_8714296118226331284_n.jpg
    404546553_122137707200028972_8714296118226331284_n.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 39
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #286  
Must be an old legacy mill with BOF and coke ovens.

a modern EAF doesnt do that.... and they have filter systems to collect the fumes they do put off....

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #287  
It is not fair to the other manufactures that don't cheat and it's not fair to everyone that has to breathe the dirty crap that the cheaters put in the air.
I have to wonder when some very large players left the market and 2 that dominate their markets are both found non compliant maybe viable attainment is not possible?

For decades manufactures would optimize mpg and emissions for the EPA test cycle...

VW went to the extreme of tailoring a special program just for testing and it worked...

My first thought is why does the government test via simulation and not real world out on the road conditions?

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #288  
I have to wonder when some very large players left the market and 2 that dominate their markets are both found non compliant maybe viable attainment is not possible?

For decades manufactures would optimize mpg and emissions for the EPA test cycle...

VW went to the extreme of tailoring a special program just for testing and it worked...

My first thought is why does the government test via simulation and not real world out on the road conditions?
It wasn't just an issue of not quite meeting the requirement.....it was the cheat....installing devices to cheat the test...

WASHINGTON, Dec 22 (Reuters) - Truck engine maker Cummins Inc (CMI.N) has agreed in principle to pay a $1.675 billion fine for installing devices on hundreds of thousands of engines to allow them to emit excess pollution, the largest-ever civil penalty for a Clean Air Act violation, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday.

The Department said Cummins allegedly installed so-called "defeat devices" to bypass or disable emissions controls such as emission sensors and onboard computers.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #289  
I’ve searched but so far not been able to find any pictures of the added device installed or a part number for the device.

I do have Cummins Diesel engines in Hospital backup generators with the newest circa 1995.

My understanding in the case of VW the only difference between compliant and non compliant operation is due to programming parameters…

The emission profile programming minimized emissions at the expense of drivability and was triggered when the vehicle was on a dynamometer and this was sensed when all 4 wheels were not in motion during testing.

If all 4 wheels are moving the vehicle optimized drivability… including better mpg.

I think every new vehicle has various run programs… I know new GMC has a Limp Home program when emission criteria exceed parameters… maybe like mandatory regen on some diesel tractors?

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #290  
This was quite different from VW who intentionally wrote software to alter the emissions whenever a vehicle was undergoing a test. In this case the issue is essentially that these vehicles could still be operated while the emissions controls were malfunctioning. I can say for certain that anyone involved in intentional cheating emissions or any other regulations or law is shown the door at Cummins, that is a definite zero tolerance, no second chances offense.

The irony is that for over 20 years Cummins has been a leader in emissions technology and spent massive amounts on decreasing emissions from their products and manufacturing. The coal rollers and they’ll never take my diesel away crowd make Cummins a target and every time they leave a cloud of smoke they are adding another nail to the coffin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.