Cummins diesel project

/ Cummins diesel project #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
Back in 1995 I bought a new 2500 CD Dodge Ram 4x4 reg cab. About 6 months later I sold it to a very good friend. He has had it ever since. 230,000 miles on it now +\-. I have a chance to buy it back. Problem I see now is that I don't think the turbo is working as it has almost no pulling power. It does however run very well. It also stalls when you come to a stop. Any CD turbo experts here ?

/ Cummins diesel project #2  
Back in 1995 I bought a new 2500 CD Dodge Ram 4x4 reg cab. About 6 months later I sold it to a very good friend. He has had it ever since. 230,000 miles on it now +\-. I have a chance to buy it back. Problem I see now is that I don't think the turbo is working as it has almost no pulling power. It does however run very well. It also stalls when you come to a stop. Any CD turbo experts here ?

I would definitely buy it back if I were you.

No pulling power.
Are all the turbo to intercoolers to engine boots connected, clamps tightened?
Fuel filter changed recently?
If both of the above are fine have someone check the fuel pressure coming out of the lift pump.
Possible it is a bad overflow valve. Remove it and stretch the spring a little bit and if that fixes your problem order a new one.
Could be something else but that's where I would start.

Stalls when coming to a stop.
Auto or manual tranny?
Where are the rpm's at idle? On these 12 valves the idle has to be periodically adjusted as the stop starts to wear and the idle drops down too low. Adjustment is as simple as loosening a locknut and turning the stop bolt a little and re tightening.

/ Cummins diesel project
It's a automatic, trans was rebuilt about 35k miles ago. Truck also went through a full exterior restoration a few years ago. .now painted Viper Red. I'm not sure where all those spots are to check for the potential problems. Maybe a shop manual will help.

/ Cummins diesel project #4  
A stuck turbo will have very black exhaust smoke.

/ Cummins diesel project #5  
It is very easy to pull the intake hose off the turbo. The compressor wheel should spin freely by hand with out touching the housing. Grab the nut that holds the compressor on the shaft, the shaft should have very little play up/down in/out. A stock turbo (Holset hx35, iirc) is not expensive or difficult to replace. Any place that services Cummins powered trucks can get one and there are also plenty online.

I do agree that the idle probably needs adjusted too.

/ Cummins diesel project #6  
It is very easy to pull the intake hose off the turbo. The compressor wheel should spin freely by hand with out touching the housing. Grab the nut that holds the compressor on the shaft, the shaft should have very little play up/down in/out. A stock turbo (Holset hx35, iirc) is not expensive or difficult to replace. Any place that services Cummins powered trucks can get one and there are also plenty online.

Correct the turbo is allowed more in/out free play than up down but still not a whole lot. Could be that the wastegate is stuck open not allowing boost to build in turbo. Could be fuel pressure possibly a clogged fuel filter.