CULTIVATORS

/ CULTIVATORS #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
Anyone have much luck w/ 3PT cultivators? I had a set given to me, but it's hard to watch where you are driving and watch the cultivators at the same time. I have noticed that the seat on my Cub Cadet is almost too far down and forward to watch a rear implement closely. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ CULTIVATORS #2  
People here, especially Egon, had laughed at me when I had claimed that tractor driver seats were in the wrong direction. Now, you feel the neck pain and understand me? But our tractor technology bosses, designers, etc are not farmers to understand their feelings of farmers. The driver seats should have been in opposite direction. You can go to Mars by new powerful tractors, but they are still primitive technologies due to such improper designs like wrong seat direction. Ps: We had talked much about this a few months ago. If I can find that thread, I will post here.

/ CULTIVATORS #3  
If your land is level and has no large rocks, you can center the middle of the hood and just drive.

/ CULTIVATORS #4  
Nomad, while I don't want my seat facing backwards, I really do wonder sometimes why it does not face SIDEWAYS for some of the tasks. Many tasks using the rear PTO or 3pt hitch like mowing, cultivating, tilling, snowblowing etc would be more easily accomplished if the seat faced the side, allowing quick looks to either the front or the back.

Now for FEL work, I think the seat must face forward! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ CULTIVATORS
Am I just imagining it, or did some of the BOOMERS have seats that rotated a little so you could watch your implement? i know NH has a HUGE tractor that goes either way w/a #PH on the front AND back, but I don't think my wife would let me buy one just to cultivate a couple of acres of corn....

My brother has a FARMALL 140, which is about 40 years old, but it's offset like I need. He has a pile of cultivator pieces, but I have absolutley no idea how to put them all back together, or if they are a complete set even. He also lives 40 miles away. Grrr. I can't find a set for my 200. If somebody knows an inexpensive solution, I am ALL ears. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ CULTIVATORS #6  
The absolute best cultivation tractor is the 1948 Allis Chalmers G.
acg.jpg

/ CULTIVATORS #7  
I beleive the class II's , TC29 have them. I think it's a 15 degree rotate. I know some skidders have the seat slightly off center for the same reason.

/ CULTIVATORS #8  
Some folks concentrate on the future. Some live in the past.

Egon

/ CULTIVATORS #9  
<font color="blue"> but it's hard to watch where you are driving and watch the cultivators at the same time</font>

Center up over the row, drive foreward and dont look back. Every time I turn to watch my row, I plow up something /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *Wildlife Foodplot Supplies and Implements*

/ CULTIVATORS #10  
Cultivators used to be mid-mount, but took a 1/2 day to mount & it was difficult to handle an 8 row or bigger size. With that much weight on the front wheels they like to get stuck real easy too.

I run a 15 row rear mount ocationally. You can really wipe out some crop if you don't pay attention! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I suspect one of the problems is, by the time you learn how to do it, you are done with a small plot. It just takes practice. You really only rarely look back to see nothing is plugged. I find going faster actually helps, keeps my attention up & the travel smoother & less jerky. I have hills, so have to learn to compensate for that.

Overall, the less you look back, the better you are.

Learn a center or axle mark that lines up, or build a rod or chain that you can see that bolts over a row. Follow that. Don't look back.

There are mirrors (Culti-Vision was one) that you can mount on the front & watch a row going through the cultivator.

There are even automatic guidence systems that mount like a quick hitch & shift the cultivator, keeping it on track. (Popular in sugar beet areas in the past.)

So, can be high tech.

The 'big' NH tractors that face either direction are only 110 hp, not really that big.

--->Paul