Cub Cadet Understeer?

/ Cub Cadet Understeer? #1  

Mike5252

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2320
While mowing today I noticed something new and I'm not sure how to remedy. I only have 40 hrs on my 5252, so not even broken in yet.

When turning the steering wheel the tractor had classic understeer - when steering the tractor would "push" as opposed to turning.

Has anyone else seen this?

Tire inflation is per specs. From a quick visual inspection the toe in and allignment appear reasonable. Entire front end has been greased per specs within last 10 hours.

I do have the turf tires - its almost like the front tires aren't getting enough traction in the grass to keep turning.

Has anyone been able to find an R4 tire that fits the 5000 series tractors? I don't believe Cub offers one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ Cub Cadet Understeer? #2  
Mike, I had the bar tires on my 5234D, you might want to try those up front. They do not tear up the lawn, at least in my case they didn't and they are fantastic in the snow. Also, I had the weight bracket on the front ($89.99 from Cub) with 4 to 8 suitcase weights mounted to it (8 when plowing snow)and I never had an issue with understeer when in 2 wheel drive. I also had the weight advantge of the heavier front axle for the 4 wheel drive.

/ Cub Cadet Understeer?
I believe I have this front weight bracket. Do you know if I would need CC weights or are they standardized such that any brand suitcase weights would work?

Thanks

/ Cub Cadet Understeer? #4  
Mike5252 said:
I believe I have this front weight bracket. Do you know if I would need CC weights or are they standardized such that any brand suitcase weights would work?

Thanks

Not absolutely sure if any brand would work, but I did see some JD suitcase weights and they looked very similar to my Cub weights. Regarding the weight bracket, you'll know for sure if you have it. It's quite heavy duty and mounts to the the frame in the front with 4 large bolts. Can carry up to 8 suitcase weights. Even if you don't put weights on it, it makes a great front bumper. The model # is 590-821-10?. I don't know what the last number is because it is scrapped off.

/ Cub Cadet Understeer? #5  
Does this tractor have a Differential Lock?

If so, if it is stuck you will see this problem.

In the old days, I drove many a Ford 3000 "off the path" by forgetting to release the diff lock :)

-Larry

Mike5252 said:
While mowing today I noticed something new and I'm not sure how to remedy. I only have 40 hrs on my 5252, so not even broken in yet.

When turning the steering wheel the tractor had classic understeer - when steering the tractor would "push" as opposed to turning.

Has anyone else seen this?

Tire inflation is per specs. From a quick visual inspection the toe in and allignment appear reasonable. Entire front end has been greased per specs within last 10 hours.

I do have the turf tires - its almost like the front tires aren't getting enough traction in the grass to keep turning.

Has anyone been able to find an R4 tire that fits the 5000 series tractors? I don't believe Cub offers one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ Cub Cadet Understeer?
That's a very interesting comment about the differential lock, I do have Diff lock. I'll check into that.

I briefly experienced this same problem earlier in the year and then it was fine again.

That would certainly explain why this just happens once in a while.

/ Cub Cadet Understeer? #7  
I drove a Ford 3000 with a several-Ton full Silage Wagon on the back clear into a 20 foot deep culvert once because of this :)

It catches you by suprise real quick!

-Larry

Mike5252 said:
That's a very interesting comment about the differential lock, I do have Diff lock. I'll check into that.

I briefly experienced this same problem earlier in the year and then it was fine again.

That would certainly explain why this just happens once in a while.

/ Cub Cadet Understeer? #8  
Mike, did you ever correct you understeer problem?

/ Cub Cadet Understeer? #9  
Well if I had to give a big knock on Cub across the board its the cheap and cheasy tires they pump out with the machine. 2 ply turf pro made by carlisle are as good as bicycle tires to me. They have no gripping thread on them and are really prone to having flats. Me personally I would dump them faster than a girl with buck teeth -unless you have a fondness to that :)

/ Cub Cadet Understeer? #10  
ducati996 said:
Well if I had to give a big knock on Cub across the board its the cheap and cheasy tires they pump out with the machine. 2 ply turf pro made by carlisle are as good as bicycle tires to me. They have no gripping thread on them and are really prone to having flats. Me personally I would dump them faster than a girl with buck teeth -unless you have a fondness to that :)

I agree with that. They look like balloons.