Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies #1  

rau2009sch

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2550
Cub GT 2550, with Kohler Command CH-670 engine, 250 hours. I replaced the fuel filter with the correct Kohler fuel filter, it runs great for a few hours, then dies like it's out of gas. Tank is full. Restart, then dies like out of gas again. Has new air filter. Engine air intake screen is clear. Anyone got any ideas? Thx guys.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies #2  
Something floating around in the fuel tank cutting off the fuel flow when the tank gets low. Does it sputter around like running out of gas or just shuts off. Also when it starts to die can you choke it and keep it running.

My other two thoughts are a faulty ignition module issue, or a faulty fuel solenoid issue.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies #3  
You replaced the fuel filter. Now it dies. Have you considered you may have a defective fuel filter? I've never used a genuine Kohler filter on my Kohler Courage. I just use a generic quarter inch filter from the auto parts store. By the way, there's an arrow on them showing direction of flow. Does it make a difference? I haven't a clue.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies #4  
Try loosening the gas cap and see if it makes any difference. A defective vent in the cap will cause a vacuum to form in the tank eventually cutting off the fuel.

Bob B.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies #5  
All good ideas. Bear in mind that the check valves in the mechanical fuel pump can fail intermittently.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies #6  
Try loosening the gas cap and see if it makes any difference. A defective vent in the cap will cause a vacuum to form in the tank eventually cutting off the fuel.

Bob B.

Just something to keep in mind is that after 2012 it gets more complicated due to the caps are no longer vented and use a vapor recovery system to burn the fumes. Which in most cases causes the tank to operate under a slight vacuum.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies
It was water in the gas. Had that removed, starts and runs perfect. THX guys.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies
Sorry but I just got to ask, how do you get water in the fuel tank ?
I made the mistake of leaving it in the shed, but the rear gas tank end sticking out in the weather, for some time, and the gas cap / gas gage I installed has a vent hole. I saw several times drops of water inside the gas gage, but didn't think much of it. I guess enough water accumulated inside. I park it inside the shed now, rear end in first. Thankfully, a pretty simple fix.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2550 Dies #10  
It's always a good idea to keep some of that dry gas handy, my gas cans have gotten contaminated before...how I don't know. In years past I was using it more frequently, lately not so much.