Cub Cadet GT 2000 Service Notes

/ Cub Cadet GT 2000 Service Notes #1  

Leo Rabon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2000
I recently serviced my 2011 Cub Cadet GT 2000 (20 HP Kohler Command) (52 Hours) after 1 year of use. I performed the engine oil and filter change and changed the hydrostatic transmission fluid and filter as well as replaced the engine air filter and preflter. This was the second transmission fluid change on the Cub as the service manual reccomends changing the fluid at 10 hours (I changed the fluid and filter at 13 hours as well as the engine oil and filter at 13 hours).
For the tranny fluid change, I was only able to add 5 quarts of Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus to reach the full mark on the dipstick. I use OEM products so I don't want to get into a discussion about that. It is my choice and my $$$. This was the case on the fluid change at the 13 hour mark. I gave ample time for the fluid to drain completely (on a level surface) so 5 quarts fills it, per the dipstick (both times) (reading after properly purging the air and driving the Cub around about 10 minutes). FWIW, I state this as the Cub information on this tranny (Hydro-Gear BDU-10 Pump) states the fluid capacity at 5.7 quarts. I believe adding 5.7 quarts on a fluid change would definately "overfill the tranny". Obviously, at the 13 hour tranny fluid change, the drained fluid appeared almost "new" from the bottle. On the 52 hour change (net 39 hours of use), the fluid was definately darker than new fluid and just a very light touch of "chalky", overall not bad at all. IMO, I believe the ongoing 50 hour tranny fluid change interval as reccomended by CUB is a good reccomendation. While it might be a little "overkill", I certainly believe the 100 hour change interval on some of the older CUB models is a bit to long.
With respect to the engine oil change, I did the first change at 13 hours. I bought the Cub on June 24, 2011 and that was right in the middle of 95 degree plus ambient temperatures for grass cutting. I use Kohler 10W30, as reccomended by Kohler and the Kohler oil filter. I wish they would add a little color to the oil to make it easier to read on the dipstick. I had to drill a small hole in my dipstick at the full mark to be able to read it. Engine did not burn any oil at the 13 hour mark. At the 52 hour change (net 39 hours of use, it used approximately 2 ounces of oil. Note that the usage was over the course of the last 5 hours of use. My Cub has the 42" deck and I have 1 acre of grass (not tall) so I don't have some of the same conditions as others may have, such as use of a larger deck, more grass to cut, or heavy grass to cut. Those conditions can certainly make a difference on oil usage. I suspect my oil usage was because the air filter was "very dirty" and I changed that also. For me, I will change the oil again after 15 hours of use during the summer
(95 degree plus) as the Kohler does run very warm. I probably will stay with dino oil as I like to change the oil more frequently than reccomended. Kohler oil is "probably" packaged by Warren Oil Company. On Warren Oil Company's website, Kohler is listed as one of their clients. Kohler oil API Rating is through SJ (For 2001 and older automotive engines) and (CH-4 for 1998 diesel engines). Obviously the SJ rating gives a little more ZDDP (important for engine wear) than the automotive oils available at most stores. There just is not a good alternative available unless you use a specialty racing oil or something like Synthetic Amsoil Small Engine oil 10W30 that has a high content of ZDDP. Shell Rotella T use to have a high content of ZDDP, but they have changed their formula to meet current requirements and their ZDDP content has declined.
Noting the Kohler 20 HP Command "engine oil capacity", Kohler's printed material lists the capacity as 2 Quarts and further as 1.7 to 1.9 quarts change with filter. I know, what does all of that mean? I guess they don't know how much oil it takes for a change. On both of my oil changes, it took 1 quart and 26 ounces to go to the full mark on the dipstick. That is 1.8125 quarts. Go figure?????
As far as the Cub GT 2000, I like it quite a bit. You just can't beat the bang for the buck$$$$$$ on that machine. You would have to spend $2,500.00 more to get a comparable machine with Green Paint.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2000 Service Notes #2  
Leo - Nice writeup on the machine. BTW, are you located in sand or clay down there?

/ Cub Cadet GT 2000 Service Notes
Leo - Nice writeup on the machine. BTW, are you located in sand or clay down there?

I am located about six miles from Myrtle Beach on the Waccamaw River. The old river bed where I live (about 15 ft above the current river level) is nothing but sugar sand. I can grow reasonably nice grass due to the "free" irrigation water. The county I live in , Horry (silent H pronounced O'Ree) has everything from wetlands, sand, to gumbo clay and everything in between.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2000 Service Notes #4  
Lived in several parts of that state some yrs back - found that sand can be tuff on hi-lift type mower blades - will blast the wings right off them.

If you got compressed air or an elect leaf blower, will be good to use after each mow to keep machine free of sand/clippings/trash.. much better than the garden hose or power washer.

Lived in several parts of that state some yrs back - found that sand can be tuff on hi-lift type mower blades - will blast the wings right off them.

If you got compressed air or an elect leaf blower, will be good to use after each mow to keep machine free of sand/clippings/trash.. much better than the garden hose or power washer.

I use a leaf blower to clean the mower and "cool down" the engine before shutdown, no water on my Cub and I DO NOT use the deck wash system.. Every few weeks, I do a quick wax job, including the deck with automotive liquid polish. It is amazing how that will let you blow off almost everything effortlessly. My grass is thick enough to keep the sand from doing much damage. Again, with free irrigation water, my yard does not get that dry and is pretty much covered with grass. I have seen some people cutting grass/weeds?? and making a duststorm and it has to be tough on the blades and engine and **** on the operator.

/ Cub Cadet GT 2000 Service Notes #6  
that GT 2000 is in good hands. :)

/ Cub Cadet GT 2000 Service Notes #7  
Thanks for the report Leo.

...just say'en. Run a black magic marker over that dry dipstick and it'll make it easy to read that clear oil.

Hey Savage:
Good to hear from you again. It has been a while. Thanks for that tip on the black magic marker. After 10-15 hrs and the oil discolors just a bit, it is ok then. In the meantime, it is a challange to see the clear oil on the dipstick with my aging eyes.

Take Care
Leo