Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle

/ Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #1  

dftractor

Tractor
Cub Cadet 7234
Recently acquired a 7234 cub cadet. It sat for years outside before I bought it. I got it started and it idles and drives fine, until I throttle it up, then it ceases to run. Starts right back up when throttle is reduced and will run and drive again. When throttled up it sounds like the shut off solenoid clicks closed and it shuts down.
My plan is to replace the fuel filter even though it appears clean and replace the battery because it maybe under powered even though it starts when fully charged.
Any tip are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

/ Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #2  
Sounds like your short on fuel supply

willy

/ Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #3  
I’d start with just the fuel filter; that may solve the issue.

Is it dying when you throttle up without putting it in gear?

If it dies only after you put it in gear, there might be a safety switch somewhere that’s shutting it off.

/ Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #4  
Small gas engines that sit a long time will most always have a clogged emulsion tube and high-speed jet in the carburetor. The only way to clean them is to remove the carburetor, disassemble it and clean. The reason is alcohol in the gas. It absorbs water and corrodes the brass and aluminum parts.

Start by pulling the float bowl off the carburetor and examine the bowl for ANY rust. If there's any rust or particles in the bowl, the carburetor is the problem. No amount of filter changes will clean the carb. ;)

/ Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #5  
Small gas engines that sit a long time will most always have a clogged emulsion tube and high-speed jet in the carburetor. The only way to clean them is to remove the carburetor, disassemble it and clean. The reason is alcohol in the gas. It absorbs water and corrodes the brass and aluminum parts.

Start by pulling the float bowl off the carburetor and examine the bowl for ANY rust. If there's any rust or particles in the bowl, the carburetor is the problem. No amount of filter changes will clean the carb. ;)
Cub Cadet tractor has a diesel engine not gasoline. I also suggest to check for good diesel flow from tank yo inj pump. Check to be sure fuel tank is venting.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-19 074543.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-19 074543.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 27
   / Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #6  
Cub Cadet tractor has a diesel engine not gasoline. I also suggest to check for good diesel flow from tank yo inj pump. Check to be sure fuel tank is venting.
Thanks for clearing that up. 🫣

/ Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #7  
I’m not familiar with your tractor but make sure you know how many fuel filters you have, some have two. From your description it sure sounds like it’s not getting enough fuel. I’ve had happen to me and it was always the fuel filter or fuel gelled.

/ Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #8  
It definitely sounds like a filter/supply problem..
They’ll run all day at low idle but as soon as you call for more fuel, it dies..
I’m not sure how your tank is set up(filter screen) but while your changing the filter, remove the tank cap and “back blow” from the filter to the tank.. just incase u have a screen in the tank..
Good luck

/ Cub Cadet 7274 idles fine dies on increased throttle #9  
The engine needs air too. Being that it sat outside for some time, check for a critter nest in the intake tract or air filter housing.