Oil & Fuel Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #1  

d_day2613

My neighbor has a 1572 for sale. It runs fine with about 400 hours on it. The paint is a little sun faded and it has a couple problems, they are as follows:

1. Starter solenoid is bad.
2. Deck cylinder is screwed up, where one of the hydraulic lines goes in there is an elbow that is stripped out.
3. The rubber joint (rag joint?) on the drive shaft is broken.

He tells me that the drive shaft rubber joint has gone out before during normal use (he just uses it for mowing) I have heard that the Super Garden Tractors have a problem with these joints. He says he would like to get $500.00 out of it. This doesn't sound that bad as I work with equipment with the small Kubota diesel engines on a daily basis and you seemingly can't kill them. I am really just looking for some input on these tractors, the goods, bads and roughly what they are worth, what these repairs are going to cost etc.

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #2  
Not to keen on those shaft drive MMM's but yeah sounds like a very good deal to me.

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #3  
I had a 1772 and a 1782 both with the kubota diesel. Awesome little machines, you would be so far ahead at 500 bucks! The tractor is easily worth double or triple that. I've changed the bolts on the rag joint, not 2 bad of a job. Solenoid is easy, unsure about the deck cylinder. An awesome deal at 500 imho.
Good luck!

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #4  
400hrs seems awfully low, but I generally go by overall condition of the machine over hours anyway. You can tell by a good look-over how the machine was cared for. That trumps hours any day in my book. That sure does seem like a deal since the engine alone is worth that. If this machine has the radiator towards the steering wheel, the only issues I've heard of were the side screens plugging easily with debris causing the engines to overheat. Gotta watch those. Sounds like a fun machine for $500!

Joel

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #5  
If that's all that is wrong, $500 sounds like a deal to me.

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #6  
The Kubota diesel engine is worth more than the $500 asking price.

As for the starter solenoid, they can be $alty. A starter solenoid for my G1800 (Kubota garden tractor, with 16HP diesel) is $136. A previous owner rigged the throttle control so that pulling it back the hole way pulls the fuel rack to shutoff; so I just turn the key off, and then pull the throttle lever the whole way back to shut off. I thought I'd replace the solenoid, and make it right, but after seeing the price, I thought again.

My old Kubota B7100 had a manual shut-off anyway, so it was no big deal.

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #7  
My old Kubota B7100 had a manual shut-off anyway, so it was no big deal.

Geez I thought they were all that way? I've been on some older Kubotas where the fuel cutoff cable was broken, so you had to lift the hood and manually move the actuator on the fuel pump to get'er to shut off.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #8  
Geez I thought they were all that way? I've been on some older Kubotas where the fuel cutoff cable was broken, so you had to lift the hood and manually move the actuator on the fuel pump to get'er to shut off.

Most, if not all of the older models are that way; nice and simple. I guess they figured that people needed to be able to turn off their tractor the way they do their car. The only problem with having a manual shut off, is if you forget to turn the key off, you hour meter keeps running, and in the case of my G1800, the electric fuel pump (the fuel tank is under the seat on that one) keeps running, and kills the battery (ask me how I know :eek:).

/ Cub Cadet 1572 Diesel #9  
IF the tractor is in good shape and you don't have to sink a whole lot of money into it its sounds like a great deal. A 782D with blower just went for 2000 on ebay. I have an 1882 and love the size. If you buy it, you won't be disappointed.