Cub Cadet 1350 won't start when warm

/ Cub Cadet 1350 won't start when warm #1  

Anonymous Poster

Cub Cadet 1350 won\'t start when warm

I have a Cub Cadet model 1350 lawn tractor that has a 12.5 Kohler engine with about 150 hours on it. It starts fine when cold, but if I stop it, it won't re-start until after it cools down again. I changed the fuel filter, oil filter, spark plug, and oil......standard tune up stuff. When running, it runs very smooth and has plenty of power........as long as I keep it going until I'm finished. Any solutions to my problem?

/ Cub Cadet 1350 won't start when warm #2  
Re: Cub Cadet 1350 won\'t start when warm

The only problem I ever had with my Cub Cadet with a Kohler was carburetor adjustment (it seems the vibration caused it to re-adjust itself over a period of time); I only had to adjust it about once every 150-200 hours. I assume you cleaned and/or replaced the air filter, too. Is it possible it's just running so rich it floods itself when it's warm?

Bird

/ Cub Cadet 1350 won't start when warm

Thanks Bird,

I cleaned the air filter, but have not replaced it yet. You may be right about the carb because it does seem to flood when I try to restart it......I can smell the fuel. How do I go about adjusting the carb so the mix is not so rich?

/ Cub Cadet 1350 won't start when warm #4  

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same Kohler engine that I had (my Cub Cadet was an AGS2130 model), but if it is, there's a single screw on the front of the carbureter (the one that has a spring around it) and the head of the screw is pointed toward the front of the machine. It was a little awkward to get a screwdriver to it, and I didn't do it scientifically; I just adjusted it by the sound of the engine. You want the engine warmed up before you start adjusting, and screw it in (clockwise) very slowly until the engine starts to slow down, then open it until it starts to slow down or run rough, and find the spot where it sounds like it's running the fastest and smoothest with the throttle at idle.

Bird

/ Cub Cadet 1350 won't start when warm #5  

I don't think the choke is needed in hot weather or after the engine is hot. Starting a hot engine with the choke on probably would flood it. Some carburetor types could continue to supply fuel after engine shutdown if seals or seats were bad. You might not notice such a problem on cold engine starts if a fuel shut-off valve is used.

You didn't mention if the starter motor speed is normal when you try to re-start the motor. My 12.5 HP Briggs is reluctant to restart after running hard, if it isn't don't cooled down first. However, the starter motor turns over slower. The starter motor isn't very strong, but there may be a small over-heating problem as well.

/ Cub Cadet 1350 won't start when warm #6  

Plyguy,
What color are the exhuast fumes when it does restart?

Does your choke cable open all the way,you might consider spraying WD40 or somthing else like inside of the cable for cleaning.

When you restart do you use the coke a little?
If the engine still little warm there shouldn't be a need.

Did you switch to a new spark plug,if so have you check the setting?

I'm going to guess and say you have gas vapors built up inside the carb.

Your owners manual should show you how to set the crabs if need be,but that would be my last resort.

Thomas..NH

Thanks to all for you're suggestions. I probably won't get to spend any more time with it until Saturday.

Thomas, the exhaust fumes seem to be clear; although, it does backfire once in awhile when I turn off the ignition.

I have tried to restart it with and without the choke. It seems to flood if I use the choke. I will check the cable and lube it.

I did use a new spark plug and double checked the gap.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I make out.

I cleaned the choke linkage and lubed the cable. I also adjusted the carb a little. I mowed for over 2 hours on Sat. and had no trouble. I even shut it down and restarted several times. Now, I'll have to see how it does over time. Thanks to all you guys for your help!

-plyguy