cub 147 problem

/ cub 147 problem #1  

Metrologist

Tractor
Cub Cadet 147
I just bought a model 147 cub cadet this past weekend. It is a solid machine. It has hydrastatic drive that is powered by the engine. The problem I have is it does not have a shear pin where the shaft meets the collar from the engine. The guy I bought it from had a nail through it to show that it runs, which it does great. I went to a IH dealer and got the correct pin for it last night, but it sheared it after only a few minutes. Also the pin seemed too small to fit in the shaft, it was loose.

Anybody have any suggestions for another type of shear pin?

/ cub 147 problem #2  
The pin should not be loose. Perhaps the dealer gave you the wrong pin or maybe the hole has worn. If the hole in the shaft has worn you might need to get a new shaft. The pins should fit tight and in fact usually need to be pressed in. On my old 149 the collar attached to the back of the engine was warn such that the shaft had some play in it. It wasn't bad enough to cause the pin to shear though. good luck. They are well built machines. I had mine for over 10 yrs and it was always something little when it broke.