CTEK battery charger

/ CTEK battery charger #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Im wondering if anyone has experience with Ctek battery chargers?

Specifically im wondering about this model MULTI US 7002 it can be seen here CTEK battery charger - US 800, MULTI US 3300, MULTI US 7000

Will this charger recondition a damaged battery that was over-discharged as stated in the advertisment?

I have 2 batteries that are weak and wont hold a charge. If this charger can repair them, then it would have paid for itself. Also they're alot more compact than a traditional charger. I wont give up my old style charger though, because the Cteks dont offer a boost feature, but a charger that can repair and has a trickle feature could be a nice addition.

/ CTEK battery charger #2  
If you have a Ford Motor Co. dealer up there you might see if they would put it on the 'new' battery charger for you that Ford came out with a few years ago. We used to replace batteries under warrenty 5-6 times a week on cars that had completly run down the battery to where would not take a charge. Ford sent all dealers a charger that would knock the sulphite off the plates and restore battery. If that did not work then replaced. dropped replacement rate under warrenty 75-80%, never had a problem with it. Could take 2-4 hours to do, as service manager I used to do for cust's at no charge. Good luck

/ CTEK battery charger #3  
I don't know about that brand, but I have a BatteryMINDer Plus that does a good job on old batteries. My old riding mower battery had to be charged every time I wanted to use it. put the BatteryMINDer on it for a couple of weeks to desulfate it and now the mower cranks like mad. Right now it's working on a pair of deep cycle trolling motor batteries. I'm hoping it fixes them also.

BatteryMINDerョ Plus 12 Volt 1.33 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Conditioner (Desulfator)?::?All?::?Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

/ CTEK battery charger #4  
I'm not sure about that brand either but the one that I have that reconditions batteries seems to work rather well. I think they all use the same technology to desulfate the plates.

/ CTEK battery charger
If you have a Ford Motor Co. dealer up there you might see if they would put it on the 'new' battery charger for you that Ford came out with a few years ago. We used to replace batteries under warrenty 5-6 times a week on cars that had completly run down the battery to where would not take a charge. Ford sent all dealers a charger that would knock the sulphite off the plates and restore battery. If that did not work then replaced. dropped replacement rate under warrenty 75-80%, never had a problem with it. Could take 2-4 hours to do, as service manager I used to do for cust's at no charge. Good luck

Is this battery charger available for purchase? If so, any idea of the cost?

We have a dealer locally that carries the Ctek line, but his prices are alot more than im seeing online.

DieselPower: What brand of charger are you using?

TheKid: Ill have a look out for the BatteryMinder. Price seems to be alot less than the Ctek chargers.

Edit: Looks like Canadian tire has the Ctek3300 for $80. that looks like a pretty good price/.The reviews on the site seem to be pretty favorable too. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/BatteryChargersAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRD~0111522P/CTEK%2BMulti-use%2B3300%2B3.3A%2BBattery%2BCharger.jsp

Last edited:
   / CTEK battery charger #6  
Is there anything that can be one for batteries that got frozen over the winter? I have a couple vehicles that have a little short somewhere in them so if i don't start them once a week, they're dead. Well, i went on a trip, came home, wouldn't start, so I removed the batteries, put a charger on them in the shop, and they started bubbling over. When I pulled the covers off, they were almost solid blocks of ice. I haven't tried to put a charger on them yet, it's just barely hitting 40 degrees around here. So, if they thaw, will they charge?

/ CTEK battery charger
Is there anything that can be one for batteries that got frozen over the winter? I have a couple vehicles that have a little short somewhere in them so if i don't start them once a week, they're dead. Well, i went on a trip, came home, wouldn't start, so I removed the batteries, put a charger on them in the shop, and they started bubbling over. When I pulled the covers off, they were almost solid blocks of ice. I haven't tried to put a charger on them yet, it's just barely hitting 40 degrees around here. So, if they thaw, will they charge?

They'll probably take a charge after they thaw, depending on the damage. Did the case blow out? If so,they're probably wrecked, but youd have nothing to loose.

These Cteks are supposed to be able to repair previously frozen batts, but i cant confirm. One good thing about them is they're totally automatic, just plug them in and they take care of the rest, great for winter storage of batteries. Also they're supposed to be able to charge/maintain more than one battery at a time. Im pretty seriously thinking about getting one, I have several batteries in storage at one time.

/ CTEK battery charger #8  

If the freezing did physical damage and shorted the plates, you're pretty much out of luck. If they are just deeply discharged, then the charger may be able to restore them.

Andy

/ CTEK battery charger
I bought the Ctek 3300.

Its a good charger. I used it on a AGM type 4 wheeler battery that i thought was toast, and it seams to have made an improvement. The battery now has enough power to start the 4wheeler, and the charge is "staying" in the battey. Using a traditional charger it seemed like the battery would self discharge.

Ive also used it to top up a lawnmower and a 120ah deep cycle battery for my trailer with good results.

The fact that its totally automatic is a plus. Just plug and play. Pretty much idiot proof.

Only downside is that its a slow charge(~3.3 A ) compared to a traditional fast charger (40 A+), so it wont replace my big charger anytime soon. But as a maintenance / repair charger or when your not in a hurry i think its a good purchase.