CT235 brakes dragging

/ CT235 brakes dragging #1  

jcims

Gold Member
Hi folks,

Just starting to put my CT235 to work this year and thought I was losing power b/c it was really struggling just to move at full chat in high gear on a flat surface. After some tinkering it looks like my brakes are dragging pretty hard. Is this something that I can adjust? Thanks!!!

Edit: OK, bought a service manual. Took out the brake pedal pin and the left side is acting weird. If i press them both in then release, the right pedal returns further than the left. If i apply any treadle the tractor pivots on the left tire. However, if i reach down and pull the left pedal towards me until it hits the stop (guessing 3/4 inch), then everything is fine. There's a bit of steady resistance the whole way.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
   / CT235 brakes dragging #2  
Both sides need to be adjusted with appx 1-3/8" free play and making sure both pedals are making contact at same time when the pedal lock pin is in place. You may also need to check your brake pedal return springs you can see in your manual on page 40-20-1.

/ CT235 brakes dragging
Both sides need to be adjusted with appx 1-3/8" free play and making sure both pedals are making contact at same time when the pedal lock pin is in place. You may also need to check your brake pedal return springs you can see in your manual on page 40-20-1.

Thanks for the note. I don't know what all goes into the brakes but if i remove the linkage back at the rear the 'control arm' coming out of the transmission case is extremely stiff on the left side and I can't really move it with my hands. The right hand side has a little play. I'm thinking the issue might be internal. For now i just pull the pedal forward and will take a look at adjusting the springs. Thanks for the tip!!!

/ CT235 brakes dragging #4  
Thanks for the note. I don't know what all goes into the brakes but if i remove the linkage back at the rear the 'control arm' coming out of the transmission case is extremely stiff on the left side and I can't really move it with my hands. The right hand side has a little play. I'm thinking the issue might be internal. For now i just pull the pedal forward and will take a look at adjusting the springs. Thanks for the tip!!!

This is what's in there. I am not sure the springs are adjustable.

ct235 brakes.png

/ CT235 brakes dragging #5  
I had the same problem. The issue is rust, where the brake actuator enters the brake itself. I was able to pull up on the pedal reliably, for a year or so, but it got more difficult, so I dug in. It's been perfect ever since, but it's a lot of work.
Here's the thread.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/bobcat-tractors/392085-brake-pedal-return-spring-3.html

My post is 2nd to last. The whole thread is informative. Let me know if you have questions.

/ CT235 brakes dragging
I had the same problem. The issue is rust, where the brake actuator enters the brake itself. I was able to pull up on the pedal reliably, for a year or so, but it got more difficult, so I dug in. It's been perfect ever since, but it's a lot of work.
Here's the thread.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/bobcat-tractors/392085-brake-pedal-return-spring-3.html

My post is 2nd to last. The whole thread is informative. Let me know if you have questions.

This is late but thank you! After reading it a bit I'm pretty sure this is what's happening. Hope to have a pole barn up by the end of the year, might give it a go during the downtime. Thanks again!!!

/ CT235 brakes dragging #7  
Here's the thread.
Brake pedal return spring

/ CT235 brakes dragging #8  
Or one might get lucky though many have Not. I was lucky enough to be able to put some oil on the shaft where it penetrates the hole into the housing and with a lot of force got it to move ever so slightly more and more. Now I Squirt oil on the housing above the shift entry hole as part of my regular lubrication and let it run down onto the shaft. Never had the problem again.