Oil & Fuel CT225 Oil Capacity

/ CT225 Oil Capacity #1  

powergod

Silver Member
Tractor
CT225 Bobcat with Loader and R4's
Anyone know off the top of their head what the capacity is of the CT225 engine oil system? anyone recommend an oil?

/ CT225 Oil Capacity #2  
Manual says 6.1 quarts (5,8 L).

Oil type recommendations vary with operating temperature, but they should "meet API Service Classification of CD or better." Whatever that means :)

For my upcoming (first) change, it'll probably be 10w-30 (-20 to 95 F oper range) or a similar ranged synthetic.

-rus-

/ CT225 Oil Capacity #3  
Manual says 6.1 quarts (5,8 L).

Oil type recommendations vary with operating temperature, but they should "meet API Service Classification of CD or better." Whatever that means :)

For my upcoming (first) change, it'll probably be 10w-30 (-20 to 95 F oper range) or a similar ranged synthetic.

-rus-

Ask your dealer before you put synthetic oil in you engine. I wanted to do the same thing for winter but, I checked with my dealer first and he said I had to use Bobcat fluid and filters or it may void the warranty.

/ CT225 Oil Capacity #4  
It's total crap that you have to use Bobcat fluids for warranty. Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, John Deere, New Holland, ....you get the idea, all would require you to use their fluids for warranty if they could. The fluid you use does need to meet their spec's though. If the non Bobcat fluid you used was truly inferior and truly caused the failure, they could void the warranty. The Bobcat fluid says something tricky like: use of this fluid will keep your warranty valid. It's implying something that it's not saying. It's not saying other fluid meeting specs will invalidate your warranty.

/ CT225 Oil Capacity #5  
My manual does say I can use a synthetic engine oil. Based on availability, I'll be using a semi-syn. As for hydraulic fluid, I haven't been able to find out what the Bobcat spec actually is for their hydraulic/hydrostatic magic juice. But price-wise, it really isn't a lot more than anything else local (other than store-brand).

-rus-

/ CT225 Oil Capacity #6  

CD is a really old API classification first used on about 1955. Current API classification is CI and CJ, but these oils are backwards compatible to all previous specs. Effectively the statement means you can use any diesel certified oil in your machine, within the estimated ambient temperature parameters outlined in the owner's manual. They may recommend, but cannot require you to use Bobcat oil, so long as you purchase an oil that meets or exceeds the CD classification. Today's diesel oils do that by having a classification higher than CD.

As for filters, while it may be prudent to use Bobcat filters (I can't find a good cross ref for my Kioti DK65, for example, so I purchase Kioti filters), tell the salesman that you are looking forward to your free filter set, because Bobcat cannot require use of Bobcat filters if you use an equivalent certified aftermarket brand (Moss-Magnuson Act). If Bobcat requires you to use their filters, then they are obligated to provide them free of charge. I suspect they will back off quickly, and prefer to sell you their preferred filters, and not require them.

/ CT225 Oil Capacity
thanks for the replies gives me something to think about while i watch the snow come down

/ CT225 Oil Capacity #8  
My manual does say I can use a synthetic engine oil. Based on availability, I'll be using a semi-syn. As for hydraulic fluid, I haven't been able to find out what the Bobcat spec actually is for their hydraulic/hydrostatic magic juice. But price-wise, it really isn't a lot more than anything else local (other than store-brand).

-rus-

The Bobcat owners manual says to use Bobcat fluid part #6988099. Not too helpful. Kioti owner's manual says to use Mobilfluid 423 or 424, Exxon Hydraul 560, Shell Donax TD or TD Plus, or BP Tractran UTH. A bit more helpful. So if you'd paint your tractor orange, you could use these fluids for $55 per 5 gallons instead of the Bobcat branded fluid at $62 per 2 gallons. ;)