Creek Crossing

/ Creek Crossing #1  

fortyseven2n

Bronze Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N , 1952 Ferguson TO-30 , 1953 John Deere 40 Standard, 2009 Kubota L3400 HST with Loader
I have a creek that I need to cross to get to some of my property . Right now all I have is a foot log to cross but I need to get my tractor on the other side .

The creek is about 10-12 feet wide with banks about 5-6' high . There is a solid rock ledge bottom and the water is usually only 6-12" deep except after heavy rains .

I do not have much money to spend right now . What do you guys recomend ? A culvert , bridge or a ford ?

I will have a track loader doing some work soon if that helps .

Thanks in advance ! I look forward to your responses !

Fortyseven2N

/ Creek Crossing #2  
For a good starting point on various alternatives, see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=projects&Number=58627&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Concrete Foundations for Wooden Bridge </A>

/ Creek Crossing #3  
look for an old semi trailer and remove everything that doesnt look like a bridge./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Creek Crossing #4  
This seems to be a common challenge for a lot of folks, and we've had many discussions on the subject. You'll find a whole bunch of stuff if you search this forum for "culvert" or "bridge".

You are welcome to see how I dealt with it myself by taking a peek at my tractor <A target="_blank" HREF=http://acknowledge.com/tractor/L2500DT>web pages</A>.

Good luck.
wink.gif

/ Creek Crossing #5  
Hey Harv, how come you don't have any pics of "The Simple Project" on your web page ?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Creek Crossing #7  
47-2n,

If you have no aesthetic issues with a culvert, that would be your least expensive and easiest option in all likelihood. I recently put in a twelve foot section of 36 inch culvert to span a similar obstacle, in my case a drainage ditch that sometimes is dry but at present is half filling my culvert. I got the culvert for $180 and hauled it home in my full size pickup. I was able to get the truck down by the ditch and just rolled the culvert into the spot I had selected. I had planty of fill dirt after some recent house additions, but the dirt was at least three hundred yards from the culvert, and I figured that would be lots of trips for a typical rental bobcat, so I just moved the dirt with my pickup. I filled the pickup using my True Temper fel...a shovel. It took me about three loads of dirt to fill in around the culvert, and it was also a good place to get rid of lots of broken bricks left over from the house additions. Some people pay to go to gyms for that kind of exercise. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I plan to get grass growing over the culvert, both to stabilize the path and to pretty it up. I won't be driving across it so much that I will wear out the grass.

Chuck

/ Creek Crossing #8  
<font color=blue>how come you don't have any pics of "The Simple Project" on your web page ?</font color=blue>

Yeah, I'm way behind on updating those pages. Then, of course, there's the pride thing.
crazy.gif

/ Creek Crossing #9  
<font color=blue>Then, of course, there's the pride thing.</font color=blue>

Sorry, I just had to throw that one in. Really cool pics on your web page, I guess I need to get my wife to take some action shots of me. Although, on second thought, she would probably take a bunch of pics I could post on "What not to do on your tractor."/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Creek Crossing #10  
I have a number of creeks on my property and would drive my self crazy (wife says I'm crazy enough.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif) if I had to build a crossing for each and every one

Come up with a work around solution and try crossing the creek higher or lower from that particular spot...

{see attachment}

Attachments

• 33-149434-JDStoppedinCreek1.jpg
    33-149434-JDStoppedinCreek1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 194