Creating my 10 1/2 x 30 ft Storage Shed

/ Creating my 10 1/2 x 30 ft Storage Shed
Thank you. It was last week and it ended last night in Topeka Kansas. This was the big Akita Club of America National Dog Show with the Top 20 ranked Akitas in the country invited and a total of 108 showed up. Matsu was number 5 in the nation until a couple months ago. He had a misunderstanding with a judge and he was disqualified. He scared her really bad and we've decided that he doesn't want to show anymore, so it looks like he's retired. He was ranked number 14 for the Top 20, and will receive a special ribbon for this accomplishment. This is 3 years in a row that he made Top 20.

Keren went with one of his daughters, Kaida. She is currently ranked number 11 Akita in the nation, and she is only 19 months old. She has been hit or miss with showing. Some shows have been amazing, others have been duds. This week was a dud. She showed well, but the judging was really bad. It'd very common to complain about the judging, but in this case, it was so bad that there where numerous complaints and it's been put on the Agenda to address for next year. Basically, the judges awarded the wins to the dogs who lived close to them. Notably Oklahoma. They where OK dogs, but not great. There where some exceptional dogs there that where ignored. It's inexcusable how bad this was, and the outrage is far worse then any other National that my wife has been to.

On the plus side, and why she really went, was to meet in person the top male Akita's out there for consideration to breed with Kaida. This isn't something that just happens, and there is a massive amount of back and forth that goes into making it happen. She has two boys in mind. The other big thing about this is the networking that goes on. You can accomplish more in ten minutes of face to face conversation with somebody then you can in years of talking online and through emails or phone calls.

Unfortunately, she went to Walmart to pick something up before the closing banquet, and her van overheated. She is going to take it to the dealership in Topeka in the morning and have them look at it. The drive home is 8 hours and she doesn't want to risk breaking down along the road in the middle o of nowhere. We'll learn tomorrow what will happen next.

This is Kaida

Kaida Group 3 Longview July 2021.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

/ Creating my 10 1/2 x 30 ft Storage Shed
I haven't been getting a lot done on the shed. Once the roof was done, I started putting a few things in there, but also worked on other projects. When the weather is nice, I want to work on clearing trees for my fence.

I forget when I built my shelves. I never did this before, but it's been an idea that I wanted to try. I used scrap 2x4's to block between my studs, then 2x6's attached with Simpson 8 inch structural screws through the 2x6 and into the stud. I drilled a hole through the 2x6 first, and that worked out great. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simpson-St...de-8212-0-220-in-x-8-in-T40-50-Qty/1002703222

One of my goals was to create a shelf just big enough to hold what I wanted, but too small for the chickens to take over. This kind of worked. None of them are nesting on the shelves, but they love to knock stuff off of the shelves. My 5 gallon buckets where there favorite. To stop this, I found some chain that I cut to create a hook, and then screwed it into the studs on either side. Cheap and effective!!

I'm slowly moving stuff into there. I'm also finding stuff that I have no use for, and should have thrown away years ago. The goal is to have the old storage area cleared out and get the dirt ready to pour concrete when the weather warms back up in the Spring. I'll deal with the Hardie siding one of these days, but for now, the House Wrap is all I have on the exterior.

I went with LED lights, which are awesome. I have two outlets, one light switch for the LEDs on the inside, and a Dusk to Dawn sensor for the LEDs on the exterior. It's really nice how much light they pout out!!!

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

/ Creating my 10 1/2 x 30 ft Storage Shed #33  
Eddie, good idea for the shelves. I am sick of my plywood shelves sagging and 2X6 shelves are a good alternative.

Must be nice to work outside in Jan. Our high temp yesterday was 7 with winds 10-20 mph. Good day to sit by the fire and binge watch Netflix!