Crab Grass killer?

/ Crab Grass killer? #1  

Southernspeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Furgeson 2850M
Grass gurus .... I'm over seeding horse pastures with Orchard Grass this Spring to raise hay. A couple of the pastures had a lot of Crab Grass last year. Is there a selective herbicide I can use to just kill the crab grass?
If so, when should this be applied bearing in mind I'm overseeding too?
I'm in east central VA if that makes a difference.

Thank you!

/ Crab Grass killer? #2  
We spray our coastal bermuda hay fields down here with MSM-60 to kill crabgrass, but I know nothing about orchard grass, so you would have to read the label. Horse people don't like crabgrass in the hay rolls that they buy because of the color but horses love crabgrass, put a roll of top coastal and a roll of coastal/ crabgrass/ native grass mix side by side and watch what the horse prefers, but most think they know more about what a horse likes than what the horse does.

/ Crab Grass killer? #3  
LNF
What you stated about horse owners is the reason I quit attempting to sell hay to horse owners. Last horse owner I had ask me about my hay came up to me chewing on a stem of grass from one of my rd bales. She stated this grass doesn't taste very good. I stated it doesn't surprise me because I've applied cow manure & human sludge to the field. You can't believe how FAST she spit that grass stem out. :ROFLMAO:

/ Crab Grass killer? #4  
LNF
What you stated about horse owners is the reason I quit attempting to sell hay to horse owners. Last horse owner I had ask me about my hay came up to me chewing on a stem of grass from one of my rd bales. She stated this grass doesn't taste very good. I stated it doesn't surprise me because I've applied cow manure & human sludge to the field. You can't believe how FAST she spit that grass stem out. :ROFLMAO:
That's epic, good whitty fast thinking, hopefully you broke her from a bad habit.

/ Crab Grass killer? #5  
I agree with others that say don't spend time and effort eradicating crabgrass,just overseed.

/ Crab Grass killer?
We spray our coastal bermuda hay fields down here with MSM-60 to kill crabgrass, but I know nothing about orchard grass, so you would have to read the label. Horse people don't like crabgrass in the hay rolls that they buy because of the color but horses love crabgrass, put a roll of top coastal and a roll of coastal/ crabgrass/ native grass mix side by side and watch what the horse prefers, but most think they know more about what a horse likes than what the horse does.
I’d read from some university study or other that crab grass dries so much slower than orchard that you can end up with green patches in the bale that can mould or heat up. Myth, over cautiousness??

/ Crab Grass killer? #7  
I've also heard many stories from horse owners how Johnson grass will kill a horse either by causing horse to get diabetes or Prussic Acid poisoning. I once owned a horse that would impact when eating Coastal hay. My vet as he was cleaning her out asked if I had any JG hay I could feed this mare. I stated yes. I started feeding that mare JG hay & she never impacted again & died of old age.

/ Crab Grass killer? #8  
I’d read from some university study or other that crab grass dries so much slower than orchard that you can end up with green patches in the bale that can mould or heat up. Myth, over cautiousness??
That is one of the reasons we spray for it down here, it does take more time to dry or you have to beat it to death with a fluffer, but 4 good dry days and you can bale crabgrass without fear of it having to much moisture, at least that has been my experience. How many days on average does it take to bale orchard grass ? Considering that the sun is shining and no rain.

/ Crab Grass killer?
How many days on average does it take to bale orchard grass ? Considering that the sun is shining and no rain.
This is my first attempt at hay so I have no idea yet. Not sure how much our lovely Virginian summer humidity will affect it either!

/ Crab Grass killer? #10  
This is my first attempt at hay so I have no idea yet. Not sure how much our lovely Virginian summer humidity will affect it either!
Some of your neighbors who farm should be able to help you out with this and any other questions that you might have, there is no substitution for experience, and haying techniques can vary by region.