COYOTES

/ COYOTES #151  
Oh, for corns' sakes, Slim. You prolly killed half 'dem peasants in Nort' Dakohta.

The upped the limit in South Dakota since I was a kid. We could only take 2 rosters a day. I hear they let you take three nowadays.
I believe the limit is still 3 roosters here. But hens are a no-no. Some years they are everywhere, used to count dozens of them along the highway when traveling to various job sites. Some years you will go for months without seeing a single one. I think they're doing "ok" this year, but it is a fragile balance. One of the things that occurs in hard winters is that their tails (roosters) will actually freeze to the ground, trapping them and they die.

/ COYOTES #152  
Years ago, on my other property I had the back two acres planted in switchgrass. The seed was provided to me by joining an organization called Pheasants forever. They were trying to provide more habitat for game birds like pheasants and quail.

I tried to burn it which you are supposed to do every 3 - 5 years but I was so close to town the fire dept. kept coming and putting it out. The neighbors called them I think. Kids would go play in it and we had deer laying in it often.

The habitat in Ohio is not what it used to be for pheasants in many areas. fence rows were torn out and the pheasant population has taken a hit. We used to hunt them but they are not really that plentiful like they used to be according to my dad, who hunted them from 1960s to about 1980. We had a German shorthair pointer who was an outstanding bird dog. I think they do release pheasants in some wildlife areas and let guys hunt that. Nothing like what you guys are describing though.

/ COYOTES #153  
I grew up in NE South Dakota. We had to work for our birds. Lots of walking and many hunts with only a bird or two. Dad said that back in the 50s they were thick everywhere. Later in life I had a chance to hunt Pheasant in the South Central part of the state. 10 guys less than 2 hours, 30 roosters in the bag. A good dog and plenty of birds.

Side note: uncle from Oregon had German Shorthair Pointers. Awesome bird dogs.

/ COYOTES #154  
Definitely don't serve to avoid an animal. A buddy did many years back and the wood stove in the back of the suburban rocked up and took out the back window! Insurance didn't pay a dime! It was close to $300 way back then. Small critters crossing, I won't even brake due to possibility of being hit from behind! Larger ones, I'll try to slow down pending the road - speed and anyone behind me! Some just run right out to end it all! Picked up a 17 HMR to varmint hurt with. Need to get it sighted in!

/ COYOTES #155  
I never swerve for animals even a moose or a bear, I will brake but not swerve much ratter hitting it and damaging my vehicle then rolling over or hit the rock cap in the ditch or having a head on collision with the oncoming traffic. Plus, if you swerve and go in the ditch, the insurance doesn't pay compare if you hit wildlife they will.
I went to school with a guy who's parents hit a moose in Maine. Both were killed, moose survived. I brake for moose...

A few years ago my wife and I were vacationing in Yellowstone, and were on the highway in Idaho driving south when an elk dashed across the highway right in front of us. I learned I brake for elk too!

/ COYOTES #156  
I went to school with a guy who's parents hit a moose in Maine. Both were killed, moose survived. I brake for moose...

A few years ago my wife and I were vacationing in Yellowstone, and were on the highway in Idaho driving south when an elk dashed across the highway right in front of us. I learned I brake for elk too!
We were in Estes Park, CO back in 1992. Came around a curve and there was a herd of elk running across the road. We stopped. They kept coming. So many, that I got out of my car, went to the trunk, took out the camera, changed lenses, went to the front of the car and started taking pictures. They were still coming. Man, they had to be well over a hundred. That was something to see.

/ COYOTES #157  
I hit a flying duck once. I think it saw the gleam off of the asphalt on the hot day and thought it was water. Quacked up my windshield pretty bad. My wife asked me if I thought it killed the duck and knowing that she would cry if I said yes, so I said no. I told her I saw a sitting duck in my rear-view mirror in the middle of the road, so I think it will be okay.

/ COYOTES #158  
Ducks and pheasant aren't real high on my road hazard list but I'm constantly on alert for Armadillo and Turkey Vultures dinning on Armadillo. Possum on the half shell is obviously delicious stuff because vultures always take time for one last bite before flying away and vultures are slow getting airborne.

/ COYOTES #159  
We have coyotes around, the bigger eastern kind. They have never caused any issues with any of my livestock or pets. As such, I enjoy seeing them and hearing them. Plenty of wild critters around for them to hunt.

Question, doesn't the government pay ranchers for predator losses? I know they do for wolves. Maybe not for coyotes? Always seemed a bit wrong that ranchers out West are grazing herds on public lands which they don't own, and then decide they need to kill all predators on said public lands. I know it is an out West thing as farms out East own their own land, and they fence their cows in and can protect them better that way.

View attachment 782266

View attachment 782267
I will guess not, on your question about govt compensation for coyote kills. The reason for the compensation for wolf kills is that in many areas the wolves were reintroduced and the compensation was a way to mitigate against complaints. Plus, wolves are on the endangered species list, coyotes are not, paying for damages keeps them from being shot... as often.

/ COYOTES #160  
I will guess not, on your question about govt compensation for coyote kills. The reason for the compensation for wolf kills is that in many areas the wolves were reintroduced and the compensation was a way to mitigate against complaints. Plus, wolves are on the endangered species list, coyotes are not, paying for damages keeps them from being shot... as often.
I believe you are correct and the wolf compensation has been withdrawn in some areas if wolves wander onto private land. Landowners adjoining natl parks lease hunting rights to outfitters and outfitters get big $$$$ for guided wolf hunts. I've hunted my entire life,paid lease on land and leased land to others but I wouldn't kill a wolf that unsuspectingly wandered off protected land onto land where it wasn't protected.