COYOTES

/ COYOTES #131  
Low level shooting from a slow fixed wing plane can be very effective, the old Piper Cub's and Tri-Pacer were very good.
Usually using a 12 gauge shotgun at low speed and low altitude, as low as 50 feet it is exciting flying that close to the ground.

/ COYOTES #132  
The problem with coyotes and any other wild critter is that so long as there is some form of food available, their population will expand and as the pups are weened and they are forced out of the pack on their own, they will expand the territorial area they live in. With deer, the population will expand during the summer and then with winter and snow pack covering their grazing, the smaller and less experienced animals will basically starve to death with the number of deaths proportional to the severity of the winter and extent to which their grazing is inhibited. The less animals hunted during the season, the more will then die off by starvation in the winter. Of course the DNR and thus local governments dont earn a penny from the winter die off.

Coyotes benefit dramatically from the massive increase in road kill in winter, any wounded animals from hunters which they are unable to track down, not to mention buck that get injured in dominance battles. But ultimately expansion of their population means harder and harder competition for food which finally leads to migration of some of the animals into suburban area where there is no predation and no lack of 4 legged critters (cats, dogs etc) to feed on. When repeated exposure to suburban people show the coyotes that there is no danger, they loose their fear of humans and become quite dangerous as the increasing attacks on people and children continues. The primary reason for this is the ban on firearm discharge and people either not carrying to begin with or being reluctant to have to defend their actions in front of a DA who wants to make an example of them. California and more recently Colorado being prime examples of this sort of persecution of self defense actions, whether against criminal elements or critters. Just as murder rates continue to rise in the country's metro areas, one can expect to see a similar thing happening with any of the larger predators, whether it be coyotes, wolves, bear or cougar, given the fact that none of the animals associate danger with the human species in these locations.

/ COYOTES #133  
When I go into our woods around here, especially if I have my grandkids (4&6), I go armed. I also advise my kids to arm themselves. One thing I know about animals, they are not always predictable.

Yes, I believe your chances of a Coyote attacking a human are very, very slim, but it has happened.

In Ohio, we are their only natural predator, there are no others to keep the coyote population in check. They are too smart to get them all so no danger of them being irradicated.

/ COYOTES #136  
I have never needed to take evasive action for a coyote, but for deer it can be 2-4x a day on my commute into town...

/ COYOTES #137  
I don't run over animals, but one night on my way out of the woods a coyote ran out in front of me. He ran down the road in front of me for a ways before I got tired of it and stepped on the gas. I was right on top of him when he turned, then stepped on the brakes to let him get out of the road. I know people who would have run him over, but a truck is not a weapon.

/ COYOTES #138  
I don't run over animals, but one night on my way out of the woods a coyote ran out in front of me. He ran down the road in front of me for a ways before I got tired of it and stepped on the gas. I was right on top of him when he turned, then stepped on the brakes to let him get out of the road. I know people who would have run him over, but a truck is not a weapon.
Animals must be smarter in your neck of the woods. I think some whitetails get sick of being hunted, or nagging does and fawns and just commit suicide by car. I don't think many people intend to hit a deer with their car.

Small critters? Not going to risk damage to avoid them or to hit them. I remember one time we were driving along a gravel road between Rapid and Sturgis. I think in a 20 mile stretch dad must have clipped 6-8 birds that had had enough of this life. There is no avoiding them. You just hope they don't break your windshield (or anything else expensive).

/ COYOTES #139  
I never swerve for animals even a moose or a bear, I will brake but not swerve much ratter hitting it and damaging my vehicle then rolling over or hit the rock cap in the ditch or having a head on collision with the oncoming traffic. Plus, if you swerve and go in the ditch, the insurance doesn't pay compare if you hit wildlife they will.

/ COYOTES #140  
I worked with a guy who's wife swerved to miss a squirrel and hit another car head on. I think it killed the other driver and messed his wife up really bad. I've never forgotten that and told my kids about it and told them never swerve to miss an animal.