COYOTES

/ COYOTES #111  
I remember the first coyote I saw as a kid running across a field with about 12 guys shooting at it. It got away. I was amazed at how fast it was. I was used to seeing fox but it was my first coyote I had seen.

/ COYOTES #112  
Originally, I thought he meant he shot 5 alpha coyotes at one sitting.

What he said is that he shot 1 alpha coyote, then days (don't know how many)later another, and so on. As the pack replaced alphas, he shot them.

Make sense?
No, neither does females in season coming up the rear in pursuit of males but it isn't important.

/ COYOTES #113  
They are a tough quarry. Body is really not that big under all that winter fur if you are trying to hit something vital and they virtually never stop moving, especially in the ambush situation where you are not giving yourself away. Even my 243 has enough bullet drop between 160 yards where I am zeroed and 250 yards which was usually the close end of engagement that one needs to do some hold over, that was the reason I went with the FFP Vortex scope and the more magnification you use the bigger the reticle is to allow for making adjustments to the aimpoint. Usually I would see them with my 7x power binoculars in the twilight and then shift to the scope and from the time I saw them to the shoot would be 5-7 seconds and thats all the time you would get.

/ COYOTES #114  
The guy that rents my property to run cattle shot a coyote pup and the remaining pups scattered to the bushes. About 20 minutes later the remaining pups were out eating the one that was shot. We figured the mom got shot and the pups were starving.

/ COYOTES #115  
If you see how fast they light those afterburners when the first shot goes off, then you would know why one is not shooting more than 2 in a string. Not unless there are 10 people shooting... and in my case I never saw a group bigger than 2 in the day either. Usually the Alpha male with the Alpha female or just a second male. My double was 2 males. Shot the leading dog, second took off but made the fatal error to stop and look back to see what became of the boss.
I was sitting on a log while deer hunting one day when a coyote came into sight. My rifle was in my lap pointed left, my revolver was on my left hip. The wind was blowing right so that dog came within 12 feet of me before sensing something was out of place. It was an awkward shot, bringing the rifle up and twisting as the animal was quartering away to my right. I never got a chance to pull the trigger.

/ COYOTES #116  
I remember the first coyote I saw as a kid running across a field with about 12 guys shooting at it. It got away. I was amazed at how fast it was. I was used to seeing fox but it was my first coyote I had seen.
Coyotes often outrun bullets across a field (depending on who is firing them) ;) but they'll need their Wheaties to outrun these pups

/ COYOTES #117  
Used to have the coyotes for entertain me when I was cutting hay, They would jump up in the air, and then pounce on the field mice that were running away from the swather. When I would get to the end of the row to turn around, they would wait for the direction change and then start thier hunt all over again. Sometimes this would go on for an hour. Once they got there fill, they would move on.
They would follow the swather around until we were done with first cutting, which was thicker and had more mice in it.
Second cutting didn't have as much tonnage to the acre, so the coyotes left the mice hunting to the seagulls. Open air swather, sure hated getting nailed with bird droppings.

/ COYOTES #118  
We have coyotes around, the bigger eastern kind. They have never caused any issues with any of my livestock or pets. As such, I enjoy seeing them and hearing them. Plenty of wild critters around for them to hunt.

Question, doesn't the government pay ranchers for predator losses? I know they do for wolves. Maybe not for coyotes? Always seemed a bit wrong that ranchers out West are grazing herds on public lands which they don't own, and then decide they need to kill all predators on said public lands. I know it is an out West thing as farms out East own their own land, and they fence their cows in and can protect them better that way.

03180397.JPG

11110038.JPG

/ COYOTES
My rancher friend stopped by yesterday. He doesn't know when this government hunter in the airplane will be coming around. So - for now - coyotes rule.

/ COYOTES #120  
It will be interesting to see how successful he is ... I would think not very, being limited in territory and in a moving airplane sound pretty difficult even if you see some.