coyote visit

/ coyote visit #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Several days ago our dog Luna was lounging around in the yard all day, she got up and went for a walk somewhere and came back about 10 mins. later with a faily large gash on her face. Luckily she had just gotten her distemper shot the day before and the wound wasn't bad enough to need stitches. It was long but not that deep. We figured it was either another dog or coyote that did it. I was kind of leaning toward dog since it happened during the day.

A couple of nights ago she (Luna) started barking at about 10pm. It was obviously her "hey get the H*LL outa here" bark. My wife got up and looked out the window and says, "oh, I see why she's barking". "There's something out there teasing her". This has happened once before and it was a coyote. We have 2 spotlights and a maglight and all 3 were almost dead. When my wife shined the coyote with the dim light, Luna got brave and went after the coyote for a few seconds until my wife yelled. Luna came back to the house and by the time I got outside with the 12 ga. the coyote had retreated back into the woods. I popped one off in the air for good measure and didn't hear from the coyote again that night.
We raise a few rabbits for our own consumption and I'm sure thats what the coyote was interested in. My main concern is that our dog will get torn up or worse. I'd really like to get a light source for our 12 ga. so I have the upper hand at night. I don't want to break the bank though. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of luna.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/395030-luna2.jpg

/ coyote visit #3  
Buy some new batteries and use a good flashlight. Cut two pieces of wood about 5"Lx3"Wx2" thick. Measure the diameter of your flashlight. Using a holesaw, cut a hole in the middle of the piece of wood on the 5" side. Cut the piece of wood in half at the hole. Clamp the other ends together and drill another hole in it the diameter of your shotgun barrel. Now you can clamp your flashlight to your gun with either hose clamps or duck tape. Or you can go out and buy an adapter to mount your light to the gun. My way is cost free if you own a few holesaws.

Here is what I would do if I were you. Coyotes around me are out during the day also. Bait the little _astard and shoot him dead. I have popped a few with my AR-15 .223 in the fields around me. They haunt my chickens during the day and howl all night long. Should your dog get in a pissing match with 2-3 coyotes. You will have nothing left for a pet. Coyote's run in packs. I think if you looked hard enough you will find there are many more than the one you saw the other night. We have had many dog,cat and children attacks by coyotes here in Ma. over the last few years.

/ coyote visit #4  
Beautiful dog! My neighbor put up an inexpensive infrared detector that is designed to ring a bell in the house when a car pulls in the driveway. You could do the same to detect when the coyote comes around. Then you've got some advanced warning.

/ coyote visit #6  
Some company used to make an inexpensive aluminum flashlight holder. It clamped to the barrel and you used a Maglight for the light source. Wish I could remember who made it cause I'd like to have one too.

/ coyote visit #8  
LOL... that would work Egon

/ coyote visit #9  
One could also get a head lamp[ like a Petzl ] that fits on your head. Some have tremendous range.

I have one that has been modified to run of off a recharable 6 volt sealed lead acid battery that is also used for my bicycle dual headights. I've got 10 amp halogen bulbs in all of them.

The headlamps come in handy for working in tight dark corners where you need both hands free.

Egon

/ coyote visit #10  
That's a pretty dog and I sympathise with you about your her injury but she was lucky. I have many horror stories about coyotes and domestic dogs, even big ones such as Dobermans are no match for them. It's strange that when I usually see them around the house and the farm I have nothing in my hand more deadly than a garden hoe. I know they have their place in the larger scheme of things but after you lose on beloved pet you'll know why I agree with JimR, "bait them in and pop them". Check out Cabella's for barrel mounted lights.