County says no camping on your own land !!

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #171  
Stop defending what is indefensible and stand up for something, or stop making jokes about Walmartians shopping in their pajamas, because trash in yards is no different.

I keep my places neat orderly, but it is not my place to pay any attention to what my neighbor does with his or her property as long as it doesn't impact my operation. Sounds too much like gubbermint to me.

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #172  
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I should just be glad I live where I live. Still in the Bible belt. -I'm out-a-here.

Wow, I didn't realize taking some pride in your home was "elitist." Imagine all those "elitist" truck drivers that "take pride in their ride." Nor did I realize you are a self-appointed czar who decides which people are "let in" to a neighborhood. Double Wow. Put down your Glen Beck book and join reality.

"Spying" has nothing to do with driving past the pile of crap that the mentally deficient owner's are wrapping themselves in. I guess your ideal neighborhood would be house after house with a bunch of junk around them and a couple of old cars with an abused pit bull chained to one. The junk has to be protected for some reason?

America The Beautiful, ever heard of that one? How many people "in the America you used to know" told you they admired a crappy looking, rat breeding, junked up property? The America I still know was not created by pandering to the lowest common denominator.

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #173  
This has become a thread about trash, when in fact it started with not being "permitted" to camp on your own land, when no mess was involved.

Would anyone want to suggest that native Americans lived a "trashy" lifestyle ?

Do you think that having a couple of tipis (without trash) on the neighboring property would hurt your real estate value ?

Unless I am mistaken, I recall seeing Tipis on the grounds of the Badlands National Park.
4894642492_8c06067592_z.jpg

Granted, the OP was discussing a camper of some sort, which would not have the aesthetic of a tipi, but still does not suggest that the place is a mess. If one wanted to draw that conclusion, then apparently every RV park ever developed would be a mess with just a single trailer hooked up ?

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #174  
This has become a thread about trash, when in fact it started with not being "permitted" to camp on your own land, when no mess was involved.

Do you think that having a couple of tipis (without trash) on the neighboring property would hurt your real estate value ?

Unless I am mistaken, I recall seeing Tipis on the grounds of the Badlands National Park.
View attachment 336626

Granted, the OP was discussing a camper of some sort, which would not have the aesthetic of a tipi, but still does not suggest that the place is a mess. If one wanted to draw that conclusion, then apparently every RV park ever developed would be a mess with just a single trailer hooked up ?

No one, to my recollection, ever said the OP should not be allowed to camp on his property, or that a camper constitutes a mess.

Then the discussion wandered off to the whys and wherefores of such regulations, and whether they are "just" or not. Even Thomas Jefferson weighed-in with an opinion, although it must be noted that T. Jefferson seldom practiced what he preached.

Of course the Native people were trashy, you can still find their middens. :) However, they did not manufacture mountains of goods that required disposal, or rely heavily on man-made materials and chemicals, suck oil and gas out of the ground, extract minerals by the train load, and there weren't 313 million of them occupying the same amount of space. There were an estimated 2.1 to 18 million (I don't think anyone knows how many for sure) Native Americans when Columbus reached the Americas.

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #175  

Actually I think this started out being a rant against an inspector who "trespassed" onto the OP's property for the sake of issuing a citation. It proceeded to a rant about the cost of a camping permit and the audacity of county government to require such a high fee when they allowed Boy Scout tent camping and turned a blind eye. Maybe the Boy Scouts and the native Americans get extra slack.;) I believe it's a natural progression to have the discussion talk about why the county would have fees and rules for camping on one's own property. As far as comparing today's campers to native Americans. I would bet you that the tepee (teepee, tipi, however you spell it) went with them when they left. Native Americans were know for not wasting anything and only using the resources needed to support their lifestyles. Being nomadic isn't supported by being a hoarder. Now, if you look at some reservations today, I'd bet you find plenty of hoarding and junk yards along with poverty, alcoholism, and drug use and sales.

Understand that I've seen more neat campsites on privately owned land here in Texas than I've seen ones that are junked to the limit. As a matter of fact, I've seen more junked up homesites than campsites. Junk/trash is equal opportunity.:rolleyes: I also know that our cities and counties are spending millions of tax dollars fighting mosquitoes and West Nile virus that attacks animals and humans. You can't tell me that a junkyard or a junky yard is not a breeding site for mosquitoes and disease carrying rodents. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there. From termites and cockroaches to rodent carried diseases like rabies, trash and junk becomes home to all these vermin. There is a very good reason to keep junk yards and dumpsites grouped in places away from cities and population centers. By not having them willy-nilly throughout the countryside, we are able to control the vermin they attract and keep it away from innocent residents and children. It's just good health practice.

Now, I grew up in home where the wall paper peeled off the walls when the wind blew. I had two or three drip buckets in my room to catch the rain water and used an outdoor toilet. My dad used to haul his old cars off and throw them in an erosion gully. His sorry excuse for a septic system constant stunk to high heaven. Despite being exposed to all of that, I could not wait to get away and change my lifestyle. I've worked hard all my life to achieve what little I own and I'm not some rich elitist snob. I'm just a guy who is smart enough to know what constitutes a health hazard and also to know that junk collectors die in the middle of their trash and somebody else always has to clean up after their slovenly lifestyle. They all want to make the excuse that they are being slobs because they are poor. What a bunch of rubbish

Does this mean the OP would have been junky? Heck no! However, the fees and inspections in his county are meant to prevent threats and protect everyone.

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #176  
There would be less junk in rural areas if it was less expensive to get rid of. Lots of roadside dumping around here.

From the county website
======================================================================

Charges: A transaction fee of $10 and taxes will be charged in addition to a per ton charge for disposal of solid waste.

Solid Waste Disposal Rates - Rate Schedule - January 1, 2012
Transaction Fee (per trip) $10.00

The Transaction Fee above will be charged in addition to the following Disposal Rates
Rate per ton $84.28
Rate per cubic yard (if applicable) $ 10.55

Special handling fees will apply to the following:

Refrigerator, Freezer or Air Conditioner $20.00
Car Tire $ 2.30*
Car Tire w/rim $ 4.60*
Truck Tire $ 9.20*
Truck Tire w/rim $18.40*

===================================================

I will cost you almost $100 per ton to dispose of it correctly.

Bruce

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #177  
BackYard.jpg..
Gentlemen..
I have read every word of this thread and found it educational.
Having camped on my and other private properties (including in a tipi) and am now amazed that it may have been illegal.
That the majority rules in this country is a myth. The majority that vote (the majority of who have no concept of what their voting for) elect the rule makers Oppsss again Point in question is the EPA! I missed getting to vote on that. I have no problem helping independent farmers or paying them to raise corn Corn is great for the hogs! I just hate being forced to put in in my vehicles. I have plowed fields for planting corn with a pair of Percheron on a farm with zero electricity but a 6 party line.
My SS buys the groceries and the wifes SS pays the taxes. There is little left over to buy the Ethanol!

BTW The nice thing about plowing with a team is they fertilize and its turned under at the same time..
Have a good one Don S..

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #178  
No one, to my recollection, ever said the OP should not be allowed to camp on his property, or that a camper constitutes a mess.

Then the discussion wandered off to the whys and wherefores of such regulations, and whether they are "just" or not. Even Thomas Jefferson weighed-in with an opinion, although it must be noted that T. Jefferson seldom practiced what he preached.

Of course the Native people were trashy, you can still find their middens. :) However, they did not manufacture mountains of goods that required disposal, or rely heavily on man-made materials and chemicals, suck oil and gas out of the ground, extract minerals by the train load, and there weren't 313 million of them occupying the same amount of space. There were an estimated 2.1 to 18 million (I don't think anyone knows how many for sure) Native Americans when Columbus reached the Americas.
Actually, someone did mention about campers and a tipi not being kosher...

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #179  
. I have plowed fields for planting corn with a pair of Percheron on a farm with zero electricity but a 6 party line...

Cool, can you post pictures of your Percheron "tractors"? I love seeing drafts.

/ County says no camping on your own land !! #180  
Cool, can you post pictures of your Percheron "tractors"? I love seeing drafts.
Working Percheron horses was a tremendous and unforgettable experience for an 11 year old semi city boy. Un fortunately my Mother only took two photos of me on the farm while working and both were driving the Farmall H. The Farmall H could not pull (a traction problem) that hay rack up hill out of the meadow but the Percheron two horse team did it. The farm had two teams. The camera was a Argus C3 made in the late 30s

Driving the team was a gas.. Don S..Wadena2a.jpg