Counterweight for Bobcat

/ Counterweight for Bobcat #1  

dmartin88

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22, Bobcat 763H
I have a Bobcat 763H and was interested to get some ideas to fabricate a counterweight for those times when I'd like to have just a bit more stability. Moved a large (for me) Cypress log yesterday and no issue since it was only from a trailer at about 2' high to the ground but an extra few lbs on the back probably would have made a difference. Could it be as simple as a bracket to hold a couple of 5 gallan buckets full of concrete?

Tried to seach this forum a bit but didn't have any luck, maybe a better search term would have worked.

Thanks in advance.

/ Counterweight for Bobcat #2  
I have seen machines with a reciever hitch welded on. The weights were mounted to a frame of 2" box steel that could be attached in the reciever hitch. Simple to put on the tractor, and simple to add or remove weight as necessary.

/ Counterweight for Bobcat #3  

Price Bobcat OEM wt piec before you add up your time & trouble, etc. Might be cost effective and would be inside the rear gate--won't get hung up, etc. Now theirs may be outrageous, but at least you'll be armed with info.

You could also try a wheel jig and use barbell wts like I did on my ag tractor, far superior to fluid in tires since you can remove it and it does not leak.

See my photo area for pics

My photos (see wheel ones)

I just installed c.150# wt on my 430 mini-x and will be trying it out soon.

Ya never have enough rear end--in SSLs and excavators!

Jim

/ Counterweight for Bobcat
Thanks- my rear tires aren't filled so may have to think about that as a starting point. I do have liquid filled on my tractor and has done alright but hadn't thought of that for the loader. The wheel weights look interesting- maybe even a bracket for that type of weight on the back would be an option. I will check out the OEM, didn't realize there was room inside the gate? Thanks again.

/ Counterweight for Bobcat #5  

Dave, some machines have room for cwt inside the tailgate, some don't. Only your dealer will know for sure to paraphrase an old commercial.

Make sure your gate will close. If not too inconvenient I would go for dealer installation since not that much time is involved and there can be problems (ask the price in advance to tie them in). I had to play with the latch on my 430 mini-x after stuffing in mine and it still closes with some difficulty. But, ya can't have enough....

The only thing about rigging a hanger/etc for the outside/rear is that much more to catch on something. If you can you will, esp when out there in the brush. Been there. And in a heavy piece of iron, a jerking experience of the first rank and/or a destructive one.

Also, if you think you might need them anyway for a tree spade, backhoe, etc, install rear stabilizers which will add wt as well. Mine looks a little like a bobcat version of R2D2 as a result but it's functional.

Ride on down Rt 522/15 sometime and I'll show you 'round "Mt Burgha" and/or Tanglewood Ordinary (before we sell it!) some time. My cousin was married at the "Laurel Brigade Inn" in Leesburg back in 1988.

I can even see if Mark Chalkley will come over so you can have your picture taken with a famous-if-not-so-good-looking TBN celebrity in front of our place.

Don't be discouraged, Mark. Heck we can't all be as good looking as our tractors (or Earthforces--are they tractors or aliens?)!

Jim

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif