Could have been bad

/ Could have been bad #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Took my little Ruger LCP and my Kahr CT9 out yesterday. Went to the old farm and set up a slab on a sawdust pile for a target. I have had the LCP for several years and during that time and several hundred rounds I have had one stovepipe failure. Yesterday I had three out of six in the first mag!

Now I had quit carrying for a couple years until the Texas church shooting and some local happenings that didn't make any news. So I had been carrying the little Ruger in my pocket (in a Sticky Holster) for the past month. IF there had been an incident and I needed it I would have got off one round!

Got to thinking and the last time I had shot it was 18 months ago to dispatch a hissing skunk in a trap. I had been carrying it nearly every day at the time. The little gun was filthy. Guess it was pocket lint mixed in with lubricating oil.

I also had problems with the Kahr. Even had one Hornady Critical Defense fail to fire after two strikes on the primer. When I realized what had happened that round got dropped on the ground. Guess what? That gun was filthy too.

So my projects today are to 1) clean all firearms 2) assemble the wife's reindeer and place in yard 3) test fire cleaned firearms. But not shooting at reindeer. That would cause more problems.

The purpose of this long rambling post is to tell everybody to CLEAN YOUR WEAPONS on a regular basis or chance a failure when you need them.

This is another reason why I want a revolver in the safe next to my bed. I don't know how effective I would be at cleaning a jam after being woke up at 3AM by an intruder.

RSKY

/ Could have been bad #2  
This is another reason why I want a revolver in the safe next to my bed. I don't know how effective I would be at cleaning a jam after being woke up at 3AM by an intruder.

RSKY

Or opening that safe......... ;)

/ Could have been bad #3  
Add one other thing to your list.... after you clean and test fire you weapons.... clean and oil them again. :)

/ Could have been bad #5  
Always check the barrel before firing never know if moth etc. etc.

/ Could have been bad #7  
I used to clean my guns RELIGIOUSLY after every cleaning (OLD habit).

Then, after getting a gun basically for free to try out before buying, I decided to kind of torture it over the weekend without cleaning (with the owners consent of course) after reading how the gun could take abuse.

Now I'm at the point where I'll take a gun out back, throw dirt into the receiver, and if it runs, it's a keeper:D (full disclosure, I'd never do that with a AR, just me).

On my primary carry gun, I will however do a quick lube after each shooting session at worst.

I've come to the conclusion that a guns design and tolerances will affect how reliable it is and how ofter it needs to be cleaned, added the reality is a couple hundred rounds through the pipe should not product enough "by product" to stop the gun from running reliably.

This of course is only my opinion, and yours may vary:D

/ Could have been bad
I used to clean my guns RELIGIOUSLY after every cleaning (OLD habit).

Then, after getting a gun basically for free to try out before buying, I decided to kind of torture it over the weekend without cleaning (with the owners consent of course) after reading how the gun could take abuse.

Now I'm at the point where I'll take a gun out back, throw dirt into the receiver, and if it runs, it's a keeper:D (full disclosure, I'd never do that with a AR, just me).

On my primary carry gun, I will however do a quick lube after each shooting session at worst.

I've come to the conclusion that a guns design and tolerances will affect how reliable it is and how ofter it needs to be cleaned, added the reality is a couple hundred rounds through the pipe should not product enough "by product" to stop the gun from running reliably.

This of course is only my opinion, and yours may vary:D

My problem with the stovepipes wasn't due to residue left over from firing the weapons. It was lint and other stuff picked up in my pocket and elsewhere. Neither one had been fired more than a mags worth in a year or so. The Ruger was living in my bluejeans pocket and the Kahr had been stuffed in a jacket pocket. My mistake was assuming that since the guns had not been fired that they were not dirty.

NOT going to happen again.

RSKY

/ Could have been bad #9  
I clean religiously after a trip to the range. Never thought about the weapon picking up lint etc from the pocket or whatnot.

Just like any other tool it functions best when well cared for. There is a reason I try to hose all the manure off the tractor when I am done too.

/ Could have been bad #10  
My problem with the stovepipes wasn't due to residue left over from firing the weapons. It was lint and other stuff picked up in my pocket and elsewhere. Neither one had been fired more than a mags worth in a year or so. The Ruger was living in my bluejeans pocket and the Kahr had been stuffed in a jacket pocket. My mistake was assuming that since the guns had not been fired that they were not dirty.

NOT going to happen again.

RSKY

An "Uncle Mikes" pocket holster is a good way to protect your pocket carry weapon.