Buying Advice Cost to transport a tractor or skid steer across the country

/ Cost to transport a tractor or skid steer across the country #11  
Our transportation manager called it ‘shipping air’. A big no-no unless the customer was paying the freight. We usually quoted a delivered price.

/ Cost to transport a tractor or skid steer across the country
Yeah I mean if you're buying it brand new I wouldn't have a problem leaving it for a week or two, but buying it used and leaving it at a guys house for two weeks while I wait for a transporter wouldn't work too well.

/ Cost to transport a tractor or skid steer across the country #13  
When I moved from Virginia to California was quoted $3500 by a couple outfits. So I bought a new equipment trailer for the same price and towed it myself. Sold the trailer in California for $200 less than I paid.
I did the same from a Oregon to NC and....

I also bought a dodge ram pickup with the cummins engin, previously owned by a Dr.

Sold them both at the other end, lost a bit on the trailer but made it up on the truck.

/ Cost to transport a tractor or skid steer across the country #14  
Yep! And in addition to the cost there is getting the tractor on and off the flatbed which is not a minor problem if you are not in the business.

/ Cost to transport a tractor or skid steer across the country
Yeah I've never driven a tractor before. I doubt it's hard, but pulling it off the trailer isn't how I want to learn to drive it

/ Cost to transport a tractor or skid steer across the country #16  
If you can find an embankment to back up a trailer against, it makes things a lot easier, as you're level, and not going down a sloped trailer.

/ Cost to transport a tractor or skid steer across the country #17  
Four years ago I was quoted by several haulers to bring my new tractor from upper Wisconsin to Mass. All of them were almost the same at $2000. I rented a trailer out there and went and got it myself. Total cost was $964. Plus I got to visit friends in Central NY for a couple days on my way home.